A friend needs an interface

kylendm

Apr 18, 2010
NJ
Basically as the title says, my friend needs an interface because his died.

He wants to record drums so having more inputs is necessary. His old interface was a Tascam US-1800 but he has a bigger budget now. He said max his budget is $600 but anything cheaper would be great and he is unsure about the Saffire Pro40 because he doesn't want to buy a firewire card. (I know..)

I have the Pro 24 and told him how great it is but he won't budge from USB. So if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

^Yeah, I know..

And yeah the Steinberg seems interesting but I don't think they have the $800 to put down. Its gotta be under $600.

I keep hearing issues about the Scarlett with clipping but the fast track 8 looks interesting too. Thanks man.

I keep hearing issues about the Scarlett with clipping but the fast track 8 looks interesting too. Thanks man.
Actually input level of 18i20 comparable to Pro24, specification mentions +8 dbu for both interfaces without Pad, but 18i20 has Pad button (additional -10 db), while Pro24 does not have it, i.e. 18i20 comparable to Pro40 in terms of input levels.

I've only ever heard of clipping issues on the low end Scarlett 2i2.
Not only 2i2, some gyus reported issues with level on Pro 14 or 24, +8 dbu not much, EMGs have greater peak level, blackouts have even greater output and also many passive humbuckers.

the M-Audio Profire 2626 is around that, used.
Excellent choice, good preamps with large levels (+13.7 dbV/+15.9 dbu without PAD, Pad -20, much better that Focusrite stuff), good converters, similar class to Focusrite, but from AKM.
TI FW controller mandatory, with other FW controllers can be problems (dropouts).