Roomy cymbals

Jaosix

Jaosix
Aug 20, 2012
www.soundcloud.com
Can anyone give me some tips on how to achieve a very roomy and widening sound with cymbals? I tried a tad of reverb and panning it towards the opposite side the cymbal was panned to. It didn't sound exactly how I wanted it to though

The cymbals are in stereo. I don't know how much more roomy they can get. Pan them wider? I don't do anything else other than high pass and maybe a little high shelf but some people slap some light reverb on them or compression to soften the attack and add sustain. Maybe try getting some of the ambience from the room mics for the cymbals? Idk never tried it but you could probably boost around the high range there too bring them out more?

You could try sending the drums in a big room impulse to create your own "natural" reverb for the mix. Then adjust the levels of each drum channel (kick,toms,snare,overheads) to make it exactly as you want it to sound

My Cymbalism pack is actually all individual mono with room in them, this enables you to pan them where you want and create your own virtual drum room.

What I do is run the cymbals through a room bus, I then load up an impulse loader and load one of the bricasti room impulses.

Sounds great and you have a blend level to give you as much or as little space as you want.

Check out the pack in my sig :)