Amp Guitar 4x12 Micing

FHS

Jun 29, 2004
Hello friends...
This is about guitar recording...

I´m used to work with open back amps, so I usually get the fat low freq sound by placing a dynamic mic inside the back of the amp...

But tomorrow I need to record with a 4x12 cab... How would you mic that cab for the traditional heavy/hard metal base guitar sound? I have lots of mic of all kind to use... How would you people mic a 4 x12 cab?
Where do the low frequency come from in "closed back" cabs?

Please help me...

Thank you all for the help...

FHS said:
Hello friends...
This is about guitar recording...

I´m used to work with open back amps, so I usually get the fat low freq sound by placing a dynamic mic inside the back of the amp...

But tomorrow I need to record with a 4x12 cab... How would you mic that cab for the traditional heavy/hard metal base guitar sound? I have lots of mic of all kind to use... How would you people mic a 4 x12 cab?
Where do the low frequency come from in "closed back" cabs?

Please help me...

Thank you all for the help...

Hi there!
Try a shure 57 in front of one of the speakers (listen to the one that best fits you they don´t always sound the same!) and another 57 on the edge of the speaker slightly angled for the bass freq. If you can choose from other mics try a 421 or even an akg 112.
Watch out for the out of phase between both mics.
Good luck.
;)

If you google for michael wagener AND seminar you will defintely run into pages where you can see pictures of a lot of (un)common ways to mike 4x12"s, also on the pages of SAE there's some interesting read about this, good luck! :wave:

Soundscaper.