Non-Weebo Chill Bros Anime Thread

Growing up, I had friends who were really into anime. I just never got into it as a kid for some reason. I remember my friends going crazy over Vampire Hunter D, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop and stuff like that. I'm a very big mystery fan in general -- novels, movies, tv shows, games, etc. In doing research, I found that there are a lot of good mystery stories told in anime. I decided to start with something that seems to be pretty universally liked in Death Note. I figured 'ok, if I can't get into something that so many people like, it's probably just not for me.' I'm 12 episodes into Death Note and have found it to be very good story-wise. I like the premise and it definitely has an air of mystery around it. I was recommended Death Note, Monster, Erased and Detective Conan.

The catch for me is that it has to be dubbed because I do the majority of my watching while I'm working, so I put something on my second monitor but I can't pay 100% attention to subtitles. I know there's the argument of 'subs vs dubs', but in my case, I really don't have a choice, so I have to find stuff that is dubbed or made in English originally, which isn't as common.

Anyway, if anybody knows of some anime that fits my very specific criteria of stupid American boy English and mystery in theme, I'll be happy to check out anything, whether movie or series. Detective Conan (Case Closed) caught my eye because it has 1000+ episodes, but apparently only a small fraction have been dubbed.

Check out Steins;Gate. It has some of the cliche anime tropes which can be annoying, but overall the story is pretty great. It's primarily about time travel, but there's a mystery element in terms of who is controlling what. It's probably my favourite overall anime, all things factored in, and could easily be made into a live action western series with a few small tweaks. Word of warning that it does take some time to get going. First few episodes do a lot of scene setting and it only starts getting really good once those are out the way.

I only watched subbed so difficult for me to specifically recommend dubbed anime in terms of dub quality. Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star are considered two of the best ever English dubs though and both are fantastic series that avoid significant amounts of the typical anime tropes. I wouldn't classify either of them as mystery, but they are both very cool from a story and aesthetics standpoint, so might be worth giving the first couple of episodes a go for each and see if it's doing anything for you. Bebop in particular was designed specifically with Western audiences in mind.

Psycho Pass is another you may want to check out. I can't speak for the dub but the story is really good and it seems like it would be up your alley in terms of preferences.

There's Bingo Stray Dogs. A shonen about supernatural powers, detectives and lots of strategy. One of my favourites.

I also recommend Chainsaw Man. Not mistery, but supernatural and demons with great animation. People prefers Jujutsu Kaisen but from that, though I like the animation, I don't like the story

I will take a look at my list to see what I can find

Now, have this in mind. Anime is like any other TV media, it has some great shows but the most of it is shit. And is still my favourite media.

If you like something light, then take a look at Spy x Family. Though it might dissapoint you because it has a lot of child everyday life.

Then there's also Kimetsu no Yaiba. But this is again about fighting demons. Fire Force is a great show too. It's abotu firefighters fighting expontaneous human combustion.

I don't know that many shows about detectives. So I'm not a big help with that theme. But I can recommend some supernatural shows if you like that. Still. I must insist that Chainsaw Man is worth taking a look at, at least, the first two chapters.