This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

The News Thread

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Jimmy... Dead., Jun 19, 2014.

1. Dak

Dak mentat

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...bd624a-f86c-11e6-aa1e-5f735ee31334_story.html

The dissonance is astounding. Plus racism.

Problems caused by an influx of people into one place from some other different place:
    1. Don't know the language
    2. Increased job competition which drives down wages
    3. Won't have money sent to them from another country
    4. Burdens government services
    5. Many criminals in the mix

But on the magic dirt of America, none of these are problems here!!!!!

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Lord of Aetherius

I love how no one is mentioning the Mexican government's lack of responsibility in any of these articles. Hilarious.

CASSETTEISGOD and Dak like this.
  3. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Active Member

To be fair, the war on drugs is more responsible for the various problems that plague Mexico than anything else.

Dak likes this.
  4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Lord of Aetherius

5. CASSETTEISGOD

CASSETTEISGOD Beware, the beast Man

http://archive.is/DnEUQ

6. Dak

Dak mentat

7. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

There's a difference between making things up in order to mislead, and making things up in order to interpret.

Not to defend Freudian analysis, but aligning it with Trumpian misinformation is a total red herring.

8. Dak

Dak mentat

I think that the intent in both cases is to accomplish goals and make both the authority figure and the target audience feel better. It's conjecture that Trump intends to mislead vs being misled or misinformed himself.

9. Einherjar86

That doesn't bestow upon him the analytical acumen of a Freudian analyst. He just regurgitates what makes him feel good. If Freudian analysis does anything, if definitely doesn't aim to make its patients "feel better." Offering interpretive analyses for psychic symptoms doesn't set out with the goal of placating analysands.

10. Dak

Dak mentat

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...227b94-0e4d-11e7-aa57-2ca1b05c41b8_story.html

A flippant but probably not far off criticism would be that psychoanalysts set out to make Freud feel better.

CASSETTEISGOD likes this.
  11. Einherjar86

Haha, well Freud's not feeling much of anything these days, so...

CASSETTEISGOD likes this.
  12. CASSETTEISGOD

Fantastic comeback. :D

Einherjar86 likes this.
  13. Dak

Dak mentat

Just because Freud is not manifest doesn't mean he isn't latent.

Black Orifice and Einherjar86 like this.
  14. CASSETTEISGOD

Nietzsche "God is dead."
    Fraud "God is dad."

Still one of my favourites.

15. Einherjar86

Nice Freudian slip in that post too. ;)

Black Orifice likes this.
  16. Einherjar86

This is a very well-written piece (and a long one). I don't usually go to Vox for news, but my wife sent this to me and I thought it was really good.

Long story short, does it make sense to expect journalists to be unbiased when reporting on a White House (and, increasingly, a party) founded on the premise that media is fake?

Short answer: no, it doesn't.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/22/14762030/donald-trump-tribal-epistemology

Extending this to academia, how can an institution premised on the integrity of specialization and professionalization be unbiased toward a White House that disbelieves the parameters of specialization and professionalization?

Short answer: it can't.

17. Dak

Dak mentat

This feigned position of neutrality prior to being attacked is 100(and ten)% bullshit. Media in general, whether it's CNN or Breitbart, have always had their partisan bents, but now you throw on the pressure of individual article performance(see included link below), and you wind up with nonstop clickbait directed by extremely partisan presentation of every possible minute twisted detail. Add on to that a poorly educated but highly credentialed public and you have a recipe for an inflexible social fabric which means traumatic ripping at every point of stress.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ruined-the-internet/519795/?curator=TechREDEF

In short, almost all the media I read is completely terrible from a more (not perfectly) rational point of view. The Trump administration is not wrong in who they vilify - they just are sometimes wrong in not casting a wide enough net and on the reasoning. Obviously this is because they aren't using anything approaching an objective view. But the protesting media doth protest too much.

18. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

I disagree Pat. I'm fine with reporters calling out Trump on lies and misinformation, but that doesn't give them an excuse to continue the routine partisan bias they've been practicing since long before Trump appeared on the scene.

19. Einherjar86

I really don't think either of you have completely internalized what's happening here.

The point doesn't have to do with journalists "feigning" neutrality or advocating bias on their part.

The point is that even the most honest and accurate reporting on legitimately found information will not be perceived by the current administration as anything but misinformation. The point of that article has less to do with justifying bias on the part of journalists and more to do with criticizing the expectation of neutrality in the current political climate.

Neither of you seem to appreciate the epistemological clusterfuck that Trump's administration promotes. And also, Grant, it has been going on long before Trump. I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you--because it makes no sense to demand of reporters a completely unbiased approach when the political institutions that are intended to protect them end up actively undermining them. A neutral approach would, as the author suggests, be the equivalent of negating their own enterprise.

The article isn't trying to advocate journalistic bias or pathos one way or another. It's simply saying that we live in a moment when it's completely irrational to expect journalistic neutrality.

20. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

You're making Trump a major premise of your argument, but implying that your argument still holds without Trump in the picture, which doesn't make sense. What examples of pre-Trump hostility against the media do you think justifies this bias?

I don't see how politicians created the conditions for widespread mistrust of the news industry. I'm inclined to believe the industry brought it upon themselves by choosing to engage in partisan politics.

To illustrate how far back this bias goes, and how it can have origins independent of the conditions that led to the current political climate:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_bias_in_the_United_States#Liberal_bias

#3660 zabu of nΩd, Mar 22, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 6:41 PM