This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wishing Well

Discussion in 'Theocracy' started by danee940, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:31 AM.

1. danee940

danee940 New Metal Member

In the song ''Wishing Well'' there is a part that goes like this :

"From ashes a vision, Angel of Mercy arise
    With no action it withers up and dies"

It sounds ''cool'' and all but what does it actually mean?

2. SeaStorm

SeaStorm Member

Hey danee, welcome to the message board! I'll give you my take first, but below that I have posted Matt's comments from an interview about the lyrics. I think you have to see the flow of the whole song to see how that line fits in.

Verse 1 & chorus: you see others suffering and walk past, but you "wish them well" (which is worthless to them)
    Verse 2: you finally open your heart to what the Gospel calls you to do with suffering (help them)
    Verses 3: you are close to moving to action; obstacles noted (here's your line)
    Verse 4: you finally move to action

So my reading of that particular line is that you are finally seeing what needs to be done and are at least looking upon suffering people sympathetically, but if you don't follow it up with actual actions by helping them, then it "withers up and dies". In the next verse where you've moved to action, they follow it up with "From vision to action, there's a new story to tell when living beyond the wishing well"

Most of Theocracy's songs are pretty lyrically straightforward. This one is cryptic and it took me a long time to appreciate it. Once I finally understood the lyrics, this became one of my top 3 Theocracy songs. Utterly amazingly explanation of Matthew 25:40 ("unto the least of these as unto me") in song!

#2 SeaStorm, Apr 20, 2017 at 7:29 PM
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 2:16 PM
  3. danee940

danee940 New Metal Member

Well, thanks for the well-thought answer! This song is a little bit harder to ''swallow'' indeed but I'm starting to get it. Thanks again!

Tags: