1997 - One of the most amazing years in prog metal

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I was just thinking today of all the amazing prog metal masterpieces and noticed how so many came out in 1997. Here are just a few:

Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
Pain of Salvation - Entropia
Eternity X - The Edge
Conception - Flow

Can you beat that? :)

NP: Conception - Flow

Don't forget these "prog" classics:

Royal Hunt - Paradox
Savatage - The Wake of Magellan
Symphony X - Divine Wings of Tragedy
Vanden Plas - The God Thing

1997 was a fine year indeed!

Cheiron said:
Dream Theater - Falling into Infinity

This album is usually not given a lot of credit for some reason. Most DT fans kinda forget about it; probably because the songs are much more straightforward and less proggy. Glad to see you giving it kudos Cheiron. I would go out on a limb and say it's my second fav album only after Images and Words. A good friend of mine came over last weekend and popped it in out of the blue. I totally enjoyed it all over again :)

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Dead Winter Dead and Wake of Magellan were both proggy enough that they sent much of the Savatage faithful running for the door. Not me, of course. I like a little prog with my metal. :headbang:

...twom was my 1st and what got me into savatage...and where i met my long-haired hippie freak...:headbang:

...i even went to 'build-a-bear' and 'built' a bunny and named him 'magellan'...awww

Flavio CotM said:
I'm still trying to figure out why Queensryche is considered prog myself???
One thing is for sure though, Queensryche did not release an amazing metal nor prog metal masterpiece in 1997 :lol: (Which is the year they released "Hear In The Now Frontier"..)

Flavio CotM said:
Queensryche is far closer to Prog than Savatage.

Flavio CotM said:

Because writing an elaborate concept album with lots of 'extra' production (backing tracks, story dialogue, etc.) like Mindcrime was pretty darned progressive when they did it.

If QR hadn't done O:M, I wonder where they'd be slotted in the metal pantheon?