1st time sharing a mix - blackened metal from utah (very natural/raw)

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
Guess everyone has to share their first mix sooner or later

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13954076/08 - Drawn to Darkness.mp3

This is from a salvage project I got from a friend's band. It was a project they had going with one guy and ended up needing someone else to mix. I wasn't there for any of the actual recording, and source tracks sucked. And of course, no click track was used. :zombie:

Drums - no edits/samples. Pearl VSX 7-piece kit. (only provided a single summed stereo stem)
Guitar - Ibanez RG2228 through Mesa Triple Rec w/ Marshall 1960B cab - one take per side, no reamps (no DI available)
Bass - Ibanez ?? through SVT2 w/ 8x10 (no DI available)
Synth - Yamaha CP33 piano / Korg TR-61

I'm not sure what mics/pres were used, but I believe tracked into a Digi 003 and distressors were used I think mainly on drums.

Cool man. I think it sounds pretty awesome for as raw as it is, and obviously you had to deal with what was given. Very Dissection/ish, with a tad more elements of Death. Band name? I like it, but then blackened death is my genre of choice at the moment. 2nd to last riff was sick!

Cave of Roses is the band name, from Salt Lake City, UT. They have been around for a few years, but only released two demos before. This is from their first full-length. Their sound is a little all over the place, they definitely have a stronger Opeth influence on other tracks.

The mix was a challenge because they wanted a really natural/rax vibe, but still very clean and good separation. I think the biggest struggle was not having any triggers or bass DI to help make a polished low end.

Thanks for the feedback. This is only the second album i've worked on, but finally feeling someone comfortable enough to post.