2 kickdrums, sounds separate but subs to middle?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I was having this thought that if you have two kickdrums and you want to make their stereoimage a bit wider with panning, not much just slightly, like to 10 o clock and 2 o clock. The first thing I thought that will be a problem is that I would still need/want to have the bass-region in the center to avoid larger phase problems. With Live-PA this is easy because of the crossfaders that (usually) have the subbasses mono, but what in your opinion is the smartest choise to do this in DAW-world? I mean is there a plugin that would have a frequency crossfader slider so that it would make everything below x Hz mono and leave the panning above as is? I know it even wouldn't be that hard to make, it would require something like this (in pseudocode)

Code:
function monocrossover(inputsignal, crossover)
{

signal1[L] = highpass(inputsignal[L], crossover);
  signal2[L] = highpass(inputsignal[L], crossover);

signal1[R] = lowpass(inputsignal[R], crossover);
  signal2[R] = lowpass(inputsignal[R], crossover);

signal3 = (signal1[L] + signal1[L]) / 2;
  final[L] = signal3 + signal2[L];
  final[R] = signal3 + signal2[R];

return (final);
}

//function call
signal = monocrossover(signal, 110);

have you ever used izotope ozone 3? there is one feature it has called "Multiband Stereo Imaging" where you can divide the frequency spectrum of a song and choose to widen or narrow the bass, mids, and highs of a mix. i've used that to kind of pull the bass into the center of a mix. hope that helps!

punch the drummer in the face, and make him use one bass drum and a double pedal
then kick him in the head for good measure

send the kicks to a bus, put a low pass filter on bus, leave dead center.
high pass the individual tracks and pan them to taste.

i think this would work. never had the desire to pan kicks though, i don`t think the results would be very appealing

send the kicks to a bus, put a low pass filter on bus, leave dead center.
high pass the individual tracks and pan them to taste.

i think this would work. never had the desire to pan kicks though, i don`t think the results would be very appealing

Yeah, I think something like that would work

But, sounds strange to me... stereo kicks??? In metal?

The band isn't metal per´se, but something between hardrock and metal. And the idea is just minimal movement as I said from 10-11/1-2 o clock instead of dead center, not talking about huge wide kicks :heh: but if you dont try it, you never know if it would work, right? ;)

Yeah, I think something like that would work

The band isn't metal per´se, but something between hardrock and metal. And the idea is just minimal movement as I said from 10-11/1-2 o clock instead of dead center, not talking about huge wide kicks :heh: but if you dont try it, you never know if it would work, right? ;)

I agree. Good thinking! Always thinking inside your box, will make you dull and boring :)