2 mixes: Addictive Drums - Slate Drums comparison

Santuzzo

Jan 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hi,

I got Slate Drums Platinum yesterday. I have been using Addictive Drums mostly before, and now I made two mixes of a tune of mine to compare the both.

Here's the Slate Drums version:

And here's the Addictive Drums version:

I have to say I have difficulties saying which I like more, so I'd appreciate some opinions.
I think I like Addictive Drums a bit better, but Slate also sounds good to me.
What do you guys think?

Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
the addictive drums have already some post production things on it. the toms for example sound compressed.

the slate stuff is a very realistic and natural drumsound so you have all opportunities to get the sound you want.

I like the Slate drums a bit better. The kick is a little clearer to me. Thanks for posting this by the way, I've been looking for an honest comparison (it's too hard to tell from youtube videos).

I like the slate sound more :) The sound of the cymbals in AD is much to sharp... Everything sounds a bit too compressed.

If i had to choose one of them for a production i would always choose slate. Just because i can decide what sound it should be. i bet you can get a similiar sharp and compressed sound from the slate samples, but you wont ever get this natural drumsound from the AD Samples.

I like the slate sound more :) The sound of the cymbals in AD is much to sharp... Everything sounds a bit too compressed.

If i had to choose one of them for a production i would always choose slate. Just because i can decide what sound it should be. i bet you can get a similiar sharp and compressed sound from the slate samples, but you wont ever get this natural drumsound from the AD Samples.

Thanks!

I'm not sure, I think with AD you can get a pretty natural sound as well, it's just a matter of how much you choose to process them or not to process them.

The Slate samples were already pre-processed, so I did not do any processing.

I guess, this comparison proves that I still need to work TONS on my drum mixing/EQing/processing skills :)

Is AD just using the plug in a stereo track or have you routed it into the daw as separate tracks? Didn't like the kick or snare sound on either clip really. Snare seemed a bit dry and flat with not much dynamics. I thought the SSD toms were a bit better. The AD snare was more punchy and cut through the mix but was still dry. Maybe try a transient designer on it and increase the attack a bit and throw some reverb on it. How many snares does that metal pack come with? I'm an AD user but never got any of the extra packs.

Is AD just using the plug in a stereo track or have you routed it into the daw as separate tracks? Didn't like the kick or snare sound on either clip really. Snare seemed a bit dry and flat with not much dynamics. I thought the SSD toms were a bit better. The AD snare was more punchy and cut through the mix but was still dry. Maybe try a transient designer on it and increase the attack a bit and throw some reverb on it. How many snares does that metal pack come with? I'm an AD user but never got any of the extra packs.

Thanks!

Yes, I routed AD as a stereo track and did all the processing inside the plug-in.
IIRC the Metal Ad Pak has one snare and snare triggers to add to it.