2017 Year End List?

tuonelan

Mostly Harmless
Dec 7, 2012
District 13, Panem
Which new releases fought their way into your listening (and your regard) during the last year?

I wouldn't call this a Critical Top Pics. Some of these I found a bit uneven, but all of them had something that got me listening and kept me coming back. Also, it's not all metal, though the genealogy is there.

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Enslaved - E
Ereb Altor - Ulfven
Fen - Winter
Helheim - LandwarijaR
Legend - Midnight Champion
Myrkur - Mareidt
Persefone - Athma
Rebirth of Nefast - Tabernaculum
Sólstafir - Berdreyminn
Ulver - The Assassination of Julius Caesar
Vintersorg - TIll Fjälls Del II
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
Wormwood - Ghostlands: Wounds from a Bleeding Earth

2017 wasn't my best either. I didn't buy much music, maybe 5 records and few CDs at best. I guess it happens.
That being said, I did listen to a fair amount of music, but very little of it was metal or even rock at all. Most of my music foray was limited to output of labels Warp Records and Ultimae Records, with some Cryo Chamber acts thrown into the mix. I guess it was mostly an ambient year. That aside, I listened to a fair bit of Ulver and Nick Cave, along with various jazz and funk artists that I was digging up here or there.

In summary, 2017 was a poor year in music for me. It was a poor year in many ways for me, to be honest. Sucked hard. I don't think I'll miss it, some nice bits aside.

Reactions: Brell
Outside of music, 2017 was my best year in probably a decade, though there were some very extreme low points here and there. 2018 seems to be off to a bad start, though I'm sure the new Amorphis album will brighten things up quite nicely!