24 people died last night in a car crash in Finland

Lolita Vampiriá

Sister of Mercy
Feb 24, 2003
Espoo, Finland
The most severe car accident in Finland happened last night when a bus and a truck crashed on the highway at 2 am local time. The travelers were young people on their way to skiing in Lapland.

24 dead in Bus-Truck Collision
19.03.2004, 09.28
At least 24 people were killed and 14 injured in a collision between a bus and a trailer truck near Äänekoski in central Finland. Most of the victims were teenagers, the youngest 14.

The collision took place just after 2 AM when the truck carrying a load of paper swerved on the icy road and struck the bus carrying 40 passengers.

At least four of the injured are reported to be in critical condition.

Route 4 has been closed to traffic in the area.

The bus was taking the young people to Lapland on a skiing holiday.

The accident is one of the worst road disasters ever recorded in Finland.

The government recommends that flags fly at half-staff today on account of the tragedy.

YLE24

well that was certainly blunt, but in such cases most caring is often hypocritical. of course if i think about it i go "poor young fellows", yet i'll probably forget it's happened in less than one hour. i would remember longer if it had happened in my country or area, but people are usually not so sensitive that they will intensely feel for some strangers who died in an accident, and i'm no different.
it's certainly a sad event, and still i can't say i'm relating to it specifically.

Like rahvin said, if it had happened somewhere else than your neighbourhood/country, you'd probably forget about it very soon. Accidents happen everyday, people die. Sometimes it touches you, most times it doesn't. My friend lost one colleague/friend and 3 other colleagues are in critical condition in hospital.

TB666 said:
Because this is one of those threads where everyone goes "I'm sorry" or "I feel sorry for you" and shit like that.
I agree, it's stupid and it's annoying to read shit like that when you don't care, but it's still fucking stupid to come to tell that you don't care.

This thread is not about "I'm sorry" "My condoleances" etc.

The accident was the bad news for today. Many Finns are shocked, it affected so many people.

If you just don't care, you don't have to say anything. But of course everyone's free to express their opinions. Again, the ignorance of human mind is amazing or should I say, the lack of compassion and good manners.

I mean no disrespect to anyone at all, but do people voluntarily give in to the emotional drainage that specific circumstances like the above warrant, purely because the are 'close to home', compared to 'overseas' events that they can readily forget about becuase they aren't reported as they happen? Does the media really control our response that much?

@ethereal sage: i don't think it's the media, and i don't think it happens willingly, but it indeed happens. i find it perfectly natural that tragic circumstances closer to our daily life - if only by coincidence - have a stronger impact. a stranger dead in our backyard is not a stranger dead in somebody else's backyard in, say, boston (ok i hope you don't live in boston :p) even though no media are involved. besides, media propagate news from everywhere in the world with the same panicked emphasis, so if i were to be shaken by anything they say, geographic proximity wouldn't be much of a factor. it's more of a brush with death feeling, and the subconscious seeping through of the idea that if it's happened to someone close, it can happen to me too. of course it's a hoax, but it's hard to help it and it doesn't just happen with tragedies. if you should gamble (!) and bet all your money on nr. 2, you'd feel worse if nr. 3 comes up than how you would feel if nr. 67 comes up, even though it doesn't change a thing and the probability is and was unaffected.

Thank you for the stimulating converstation, Rahvin...I may take a while to respond though...I hope I don't offend anyone by distracting from the subject in hand.

I think it hits closer for those that haven't thought about what will happen during and after the circumstances of their death. Maybe people are too rooted int eh nuances of their 'here and now' to contemplate their direction further down their lifeline.

Ethereal Sage said:
Thank you for the stimulating converstation, Rahvin...I may take a while to respond though...I hope I don't offend anyone by distracting from the subject in hand.
there doesn't seem to be any specific topic to distract people from right now, but of course if lolita wanted another direction for her thread i'll refrain from pushing it around too.

I think it hits closer for those that haven't thought about what will happen during and after the circumstances of their death. Maybe people are too rooted int eh nuances of their 'here and now' to contemplate their direction further down their lifeline.
i'm sure i'm rooted in the here and now, and the here and now is rooted within me, but i'm interested in any pov. i tend not to be upset by the thought of my own death even though i don't have faith in anything that might come after. a close friend or relative's death, on the other hand, would probably destroy me.

Of course someone dying who is close to you is going to affect you more, but I think that's besides the point. I think experience and maturity breed a sense of empathy in people, because you yourself grow to appreciate things in life like family more, and anytime there is a loss of life like this you understand sort of instantly the multiple levels at which many people are going to be affected by it. Parents, siblings, friends, lives are changed and people are crushed by tragedy, which has a sort of rippling water effect that spreads out and is faint by the time it gets to the people who just hear about it or read about it somewhere in the news.

I don't think its hypocritical to care being one of those lastly mentioned people, in fact I think its the natural and common reaction that a mentally healthy adult has. Does something like what is in this thread affect me in a deeply personal manner? No, because I have no personal ties to it, but as a human being my sense of empathy instantly creates a sense of caring for those people affected by any loss of life. To be flippant about it is callous.

@wandrail: while i might agree when it comes to what i feel - although i'd need a little more information for my empathy to kick in - i wouldn't limit the definition of a mentally healthy adult to someone who does sympathize. a mind's developments can be pretty varied, and i guess i simply reject the idea that being numb is straightforwardly sick or childish as opposed to how good caring is.