Evil C.

Jan 19, 2003
houston, tx
Visit site
3 Inches of Blood Advance and Vanquish
Roadrunner Records
www.3inchesofblood..com
www.roadrunnerrecords.com

1 Fear On The Bridge (Upon The Boiling Sea 1)
2. Deadly Sinners
3 Revenge Is A Vulture
4 Dominion of Deceit
5 Premonitions of Pain
6 Lord of the Storm (Upon The Boiling Sea II)
7 Wykydtron
8 Swordmaster
9 Axes of Evil
10. Crazy Nights
11. Destroy the Orcs
12. The Phantom of the Crimson Cloak
13. Isle of Eternal Despair (Upon the Boiling Sea III)

Well, they say everything old is new again, and 3 INCHES OF BLOOD are here to prove that. Now, where the hell did these guys come from? They just popped up from nowhere to me, and I have Roadrunner to thank for discovering these guys and hungrily signing them to a contract where their music would be made available to the hungry metal masses. I unfortunately was not aware of the band with their prior release. This is one of those strange stories where I discover a band when I was event planning on it. I was sitting there on my couch playing the brand spanking new Tony Hawk game on my trusty Xbox, and was casually paying attention to the music when something started coming out of my TV speakers, and I actually had to put down the controller to give it my utmost attention. I was in awe. They immediately went on to my purchase list, and straight to the top of that list. Truthfully, 3 INCHES OF BLOOD is nothing new, but they do it so bloody well, it is near impossible to ignore this release. They are almost the perfect combination of traditional metal and modern influences I have heard.

3 INCHES OF BLOOD fall into that strange category of a modern band wearing their influences proudly on their sleeves like badges of honor. Classic metal is the main influence running rampant; much akin to what WOLF have achieved in their retro becomes modern approach. They use the two vocalist approach, as one vocalist handles the more mid range blackened growls, which sometimes can sound a bit close to metalcore, and thankfully are used sparingly, and the other vocalist taking some hits in the balls apparently, because this man can reach some high notes. He has a little raspiness to his approach, maybe a little bit like ACCEPT, but man, when he hits those high notes like ROB HALFORD in his prime, it is breathtaking. I also hear a little KING DIAMOND seeping out at times with some of the notes he can reach. The music is definitely a throwback to some early metal greats. There is plenty of dual guitar madness, galloping drum beats, black metal influenced speed bursts, and plenty of thrash-y riffs. The songs are definitely fantasy inspired, as there are songs about orcs, and a three part epic pirate song. But you know what, nothing ever comes across as cheesy. Listen to these lyrics from “Deadly Sinners”, “Mighty Warriors with metal on their side. Enemies of metal, your death is our reward.” Those lyrics would make MANOWAR proud, indeed. Overall tracks are “Deadly Sinners”, Axes of Evil”, and “Dominion Of Deceit”. And it doesn’t stop there. The imagery on this release is metal to the fullest. The cover has a slew of armored warriors marching into battle. Now that is metal.
Now to get this perfect sound the album drips with, 3 INCHES OF BLOOD have gone for the best ears in the metal business, and combined the production talents of Neil Kernon and the knob mastery of Colin Richardson. This is a brutal combination, and the music is just seeping with audial perfection.

Kudos is definitely a word I would use for this band a lot. Kudos for the balls to make a classic metal album in this day and age, kudos for the choices on the production, and frankly, kudos for making a straight ahead kick ass album. I would almost have to give this album a perfect score, but there are just a few setbacks preventing me from doing so. Some of the songs do run into each other, and seem to use the same song design a lot but overall, this is almost as close to a perfect modern classic album I have heard in my lifetime. 3 INCHES OF BLOOD will never disappoint and will satisfy all of your metal cravings. This is definitely a purchase or die release. I’m sure there will be some out there that totally disagree with me, but you probably don’t like IRON MAIDEN either. Long live clasic metal!

Rating: 9.1/10

Evil C

Erik said:
Now if these guys are as good and genuinely metal as you say, what the fuck are they doing on Roadrunner!?!
Whether or not they are as good as advertised will depend largely on your take on the vocals. I'm not quite sure I like the way they're handled, but I'm not quite sure I don't. Regardless, they are most defintely Metal.

Zod

This band is mentioned in the metalcore world quite often. I guess I just assumed they were another to add to that heaping pile of band wagoners. The review makes them seem to be more than that, though.

I think the "Metalcore" tag comes possibly from the band's appearance, and not from their music. This band's roots are fairly planted in Metal. Here are some of the lyrics from "Deadly Sinners":

"dont walk the cold and ruthless streets
they drain the life from all they meet
the servants crying underground
smelling mortal blood like hounds
as you crawl the sewer pipes
deadly sinners set to strike
as you walk around the bend
youll be dead right there where you stand
flash of iron, leather, spikes, and swords
mighty warriors with metal on their side
enemies of metal, your death is our reward
triumphant victory when you bring the steel to life
deadly sinners"

If those aren't Metal lyrics, I don't know what are.

Zod

yeah

I think the metalcore tag is just thrown out there for the record label to try to market them to a wider audience. I think the harsh vocals is what is construed as anything close to metalcore, and they are not that overwhelming.

now I guess roadrunner wanted a new cash cow to promote.

I still like the band, and would like them even if they were on small label

evil c.

I suppose some metalcore could have punk influences, and likewise, some NWOBHM? I'm actually put off by the description of the harsh vocals now - it doesn't seem to work with the rest of the description...doesn't sound like they were a necessary addition to something that was otherwise quite 'pure'.

I'll check their website for samples one day.

I do think the harsh vocals sound a bit like metalcore. These sound like hardcore kids who are also metal fans doing the classic metal throwback thing. As JK said, it's not completely pure.

General Zod said:
Whether or not they are as good as advertised will depend largely on your take on the vocals. I'm not quite sure I like the way they're handled, but I'm not quite sure I don't. Regardless, they are most defintely Metal.

Zod

I'm going to see these guys open for Metal Church Thursday night. A buddy of mine is a big Metal Church fan, and I thought it sounded like fun.

I've heard a little of the 3 Inches Of Blood stuff, and it's not bad, but I'm doubting it will do much for me. It sounded like I'd been there and done that years ago.

Oh yeah, I bet the singer reminds you of Steve Grimmett from Grim Reaper. Just a hunch. I'd heard the comparrision before. Personally I never much listened to Grim Reaper so I can't say for sure if I think he sounds similar. I just remember "Rock You To Hell", and some other vid they might have had on MTV.

Britt

DarkTide said:
I'm going to see these guys open for Metal Church Thursday night. A buddy of mine is a big Metal Church fan, and I thought it sounded like fun.
Hmmm... wondering if that tour is coming any where near me.

DarkTide said:
I've heard a little of the 3 Inches Of Blood stuff, and it's not bad, but I'm doubting it will do much for me. It sounded like I'd been there and done that years ago.
Definitely not original, but not bad either.

DarkTide said:
Oh yeah, I bet the singer reminds you of Steve Grimmett from Grim Reaper.
Don't think that's the one, but I'll listen for it next time I play those MP3s. He sounds more familiar than Grimmett, who I rarely listened to.

Zod

Here's a review from www.lambgoat.com

Albums > view

3 Inches Of Blood
pixel.gif

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

3_Inches_Of_Blood_advance.jpg
pixel.gif
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Advance and Vanquish[/font]
Roadrunner Records
OUR RATING - 9 /10 (3946 views)

comments (26) [new]

It has been a big year or so for 3 Inches of Blood. Signing to Roadrunner, getting a lot of media attention and being on quite a few high profile tours has all helped to build anticipation for their new full-length, the follow-up to the phenomenal "Battlecry Under A Wintersun." While some may write off any band that can be most accurately described as modern power metal, 3 Inches of Blood manages to do what so many of their contemporaries do not: keep things from getting too serious. While it is obvious these guys take their music (and their image) seriously, the knowing winks and nudges are all here, assuring the listener that this is more about having fun and keeping the fiery (and occassionally silly) spirit of metal alive than breaking new artistic ground.

While the musical and thematic elements of 3 Inches of Blood have remained basically the same (editor's note: oddly though, both guitarists recently quit the group), two aspects have received a major upgrade. The first great improvement comes in the form of production. While not necessarily as deep or booming as some of Iron Maiden's 80's classics, it is easily as clean. Every note, drum hit, shriek and bass line stand out beautifully, letting the band's talent shine through at every moment on the disc. This is no doubt due in part to the substantially increased studio money and time that being on Roadrunner undoubtedly affords them. Thankfully, that support didn't seem to result in any sort of effort to "reach a broader audience," as 3 Inches of Blood has not strayed from their signature style in the least.

The second thing that is immediately evident on Advance and Vanquish is the band's increased discipline and diligence. Their older material definitely showed a band overflowing with talent, but there were certainly moments that could have been stronger or more complex in some ways. This disc is one of the most competently written metal albums I've heard in years. Each riff, solo and drum fill feels expertly engineered to complement the song and every lyric Cam Pipes belts out is as traditionally metal as the last. Notable cuts include the finished version of "Deadly Sinners," which first surfaced on the MTV Headbanger's Ball compilation last year. This cut alone is worth the cost of your proverbial admission into the fantasy world that is Advance and Vanquish. The redone "Destroy The Orcs" is a definite crowd-pleaser as it is a stunning rendition of my favorite track off their last record.

Bottom Line: 3 Inches of Blood's Advance and Vanquish is a 50 minute, over-the-top metal adventure, complete with orcs, axes, dungeons and dragons. It revisits the foundations of modern metal and takes them in a new direction. While their last album introduced the world to a band with an idea so old it seemed revolutionary, this album fulfills the promise without the sort of limitations that they faced without major label support. If you are interested in songwriting over sheer brutality, metal over "metalcore" or musical chops over mosh parts, you owe it to yourself to listen to 3 Inches of Blood. This is a no-brainer addition to my list of top releases this year.

Track Listing:
01. Fear On The Bridge (Upon the Boiling Sea I)
02. Deadly Sinners MP3
03. Revenge Is A Vulture
04. Dominion Of Deceit
05. Premonition Of Pain
06. Lord Of The Storm (Upon The Boiling Sea II)
07. Wykydtron
08. Swordmaster
09. Axes Of Evil
10. Crazy Nights
11. Destroy The Orcs
12. The Phantom Of The Crimson Cloak
13. Isle Of Eternal Despair (Upon The Boiling Sea III)
Favorite Track:Deadly SinnersReview Date:11/5/2004Reviewer:Cory[ purchase album online ]

Now that I've heard the band, I can safely say JayKeeley will sprout wood over this. THIS IT NOT METALCORE. I don't know why anybody even mentions metalcore when talking about this band. 99% power metal (the non-gay type) 1% other forms of metal. NO METALCORE.

Nate The Great said:
Now that I've heard the band, I can safely say JayKeeley will sprout wood over this. THIS IT NOT METALCORE. I don't know why anybody even mentions metalcore when talking about this band. 99% power metal (the non-gay type) 1% other forms of metal. NO METALCORE.
Agreed. It has a very Maidenesque quality to it.

Zod

Well that's more like it!

I'm back to "sold!" mode.

@Nate - did you get a promo for this? Or are you going by the MP3 sample? I'll have to wait until I get home before listening to the MP3...but yeah, this is on the shopping list.

This shit R-U-L-E-S.
Although their approach to 80s metal and their feeling dont seem genuine enough (more like a a thought product, rather than pure love for this music), it still kicks ass. Iron Maiden + Manowar + King Diamond + Omen = A'
The main vocalist also reminds of Tim Baker (of Cirith Ungol)

If anyone still doubts that these guys kick 300% amounts of arse, then go to their website. About three songs off the album are played as background music. This is Metal to the core, I hear pure Accept-meets-Judas Priest.

I caught Deadly Sinners on the radio awhile back, and actually thought it was Accept :oops: then they played it at the club on Saturday night, and I was sold instantly. This review just confirms it. I can't wait to catch these guys live someday, I think I've already discovered my new favourite band for 2005! :D

And what does this say about changing attitude to Metal? Things have been getting better over the last 18 months at least, now a label like fucking Roadrunner have signed these guys! Fucking CLASS!