4 ch- pre amp for $1500ish

evolutions_end

now with extra avatar!
Sep 1, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey all
im in the market for something nice to accompany my 002. Im wanting to spend around the $1500-$2k mark (more toward the 1500 mark), but im not convinced ive seen EVERYTHING on the market. Im not sure if i want 4 in a single chassis, 2 stereo pres, or four single pres. that another part that i need some help with!

Brand ive checked out are Sebatron, TL Audio, ART, SSL, Presonus

Im open to ideas folks, whos tried/used/owned what? It'll be used mostly for OHs, kick, snare, Guitars and vox

I'd recommend getting an API lunchbox and a few modules, cuz that seems to be the most cost-effective solution, cuz you only have to pay for one power supply, and you have a lot of options for modules (Brent Averill, API, Great River, Purple Audio, A-designs)

+1

though I don't know about the SSL pre..would love to hear some opinions about that one

the guys from SSL came out to melbourne a few weeks ago and invited a few local guys to a big sales pitch selling their new super analogue x series stuff.

They ran a snare sound through the Alpha Logic VHD Pre, the one where you can clip a blend of the 2nd or 3rd hamonic (or something like that). The pre sounded great, really good and the harmonic function let you bring out either the snares or some of the 'ping'. It snare sound was Peter Gabrielles 'Sledgehammer'. Shameless self promotion :)

Anyway ill have a squiz at the stuff that can go into a Lunchbox :headbang:

I think it would be hard to go wrong with one of the Focusrite Red 1 preamps. I don't have enough experience to really say, though. Used you could probably get one for around $2,000.

I'd recommend getting an API lunchbox and a few modules, cuz that seems to be the most cost-effective solution, cuz you only have to pay for one power supply, and you have a lot of options for modules (Brent Averill, API, Great River, Purple Audio, A-designs)

any idea where i can find a list of other brands making stuff for the 500 series? im digging the idea...

im pretty certain, that gearslutz has loads of things like that.
may i heartily reccomend the shadow hills mono gama, and the a designs p1