4track recording question

ShadowOfDeath

Warrior of Black Metal
Sep 20, 2003
New Hampshire
firec0re.net
When i play with my 4track and record shit it sound great when listening to it on the four track but i use a semi-old boombox thing and you only get 2 tracks on it. Which doesn't help me much because what i have recorded are 10-15 second clips to test a good black metal sound. One clip has just the drums in the vocals(vocals are track #3, drums were track #1, i had the guitar in track #2 and hadn't used the 4th), anyways the second one i had vocals in track #3 again, no drums, lead guitar in #1 and rhythm guitar in #2....you get the lead and the vocals but not the rhythm, it sound okay with just the lead but still kinda gay because the rhythm part gives it more life.

Does anyone have experience with 4track recording on tapes and can help me so i can get everything heard on the tape?

Well, the tapes are meant for recording... not recording and then directly listening. Look in your instruction manual, you'll probably notice something talking about a mixer. You have to get the four-track tape onto a device like a tape player or a computer first. You can't just use the four-track tape, in most cases. I go from my four track to my computer this way.

Four track > Rca cable into mixer > Rca cable into RCA to 1/8 plug adapter > adapter into PC. The mixer puts everything into two tracks, left and right. Hope this helps.

Marksveld said:
Well, the tapes are meant for recording... not recording and then directly listening. Look in your instruction manual, you'll probably notice something talking about a mixer. You have to get the four-track tape onto a device like a tape player or a computer first. You can't just use the four-track tape, in most cases. I go from my four track to my computer this way.

Four track > Rca cable into mixer > Rca cable into RCA to 1/8 plug adapter > adapter into PC. The mixer puts everything into two tracks, left and right. Hope this helps.

So i need to mix it? Shit. This will probably cost me more money won't it :erk:

Unfortanutly yes. I did exactly the same thing when I got my four track. It's not that hard to figure out, good luck.

your four track might only record 2 tracks.

same thing happened to me, when i tried to record my band, it only took 2 tracks and the other 2 tracks kept cancelling the other 2 and coming in at times and then back out it was weird.

what you should really do, if you want a cheap solution, is buy a behringer ub1202, and a cassette deck, you hook the ub1202 mixer to the cassette deck via rca and then you use the cassette deck to record. it works good, ive used it many times