5150 actin crazy

sirscratch01

Sep 2, 2008
Miami, Fl
Hey guys, i know im probably going to have to take it to the shop to get checked out but seeing as im painfully broke right now i was wondering if any of you in your infinite wisdom could maybe point me in the direction of the problem. My 5150 has been acting up lately, there are times when it turns on and works like a charm and others (increasingly more) when it turns on and it sounds completely thin and nasal with no lowend what so ever. When this happens i've also noticed that the post gain knob doesnt make any difference past 9 o'clock. Sometimes i can get it to work again by restarting it and unplugging/replugging the power cable but lately it's getting harder to do. I replaced all the pre amp tubes and it made no difference. Then tried plugging the pre amp out into the fx return of my dual rec and i got the most amazing tone i have ever heard in my life, far better than the 5150 working on it's own and i thought i'd solved the problem so i set it on standby so i could set up my reamp and it made a loud popping sound and when i turned it back on it was back to the crap sound even through the mesa power stage. So from what i can tell it's not a problem in the pre or power tubes but i could be way off, any ideas? I'm dying here i love this amp and need it for a band im working with at the moment. Thanks for any help and your time guys.
-Richard

Before you panic get out your contact cleaner, spray some into all the jacks, but particularly the fx loop send/return jacks, and plug a cord in/out several times...rinse and repeat. There is a strong likelyhood that's all it is, a little dirt or corrosion in the return jack causing a bunch of funkiness. Especially if you usually don't use the loop, but even if you do. That should get her up and running, but if not, it was easy on the wallet...I AM a little surprised to read it happened while you were slaved to your DR...
Best of luck from one whose been there...(me ...). You've come to the right place, check back in and let us know how it goes !!

Before you panic get out your contact cleaner, spray some into all the jacks, but particularly the fx loop send/return jacks, and plug a cord in/out several times...rinse and repeat. There is a strong likelyhood that's all it is, a little dirt or corrosion in the return jack causing a bunch of funkiness. Especially if you usually don't use the loop, but even if you do. That should get her up and running, but if not, it was easy on the wallet...I AM a little surprised to read it happened while you were slaved to your DR...
Best of luck from one whose been there...(me ...). You've come to the right place, check back in and let us know how it goes !!

Another +1

You will also want to put some contact cleaner on the contact pins on your preamp and power tubes and pull them in and out of the tube sockets.