5150 double gating

Mar 16, 2010
Hi guys.

Ok i've been toying with the idea of double gating my peavey. Going for the adam D esq signal path (sadly without the splawn nitro)

signal would be

guitar (ESP h1000) - boss ns-2 with ts808 and line 6 dl4 in the loop - amp - ISP decimator in amps effects loop - cab

anyone had experience with double gating? i'm looking for that dead silent stop live but worried about the delay falling short and cutting out with the second gate.

Putting a gate in the effects loop gets it dead silent for me. Never saw much of a point putting it before the preamp, but some people do. If you put it before the delay on the effects loop it should be fine. Your clean, gated signal will feed the delay and wont cut the delay short.

I always ran my NS-2 in the loop of my 5150's, sometimes the 4-cable-method as well. Though I don't see the point in running a TS in the loop, it's more beneficial in front of the amp.

Putting a gate in the effects loop gets it dead silent for me. Never saw much of a point putting it before the preamp, but some people do. If you put it before the delay on the effects loop it should be fine. Your clean, gated signal will feed the delay and wont cut the delay short.

Putting it in the loop only allows you to get rid of amp hum from the preamp... it's more to clean up the ambient sound of the amp being on... it just makes it silent. This wouldn't really be all that noticeable in a live situation. It doesn't do anything for stopping feedback. Putting it before the preamp (before the input of your amp head) allows you to get rid of feedback, which is what most people are looking to do.

Putting it in the loop only allows you to get rid of amp hum from the preamp... it's more to clean up the ambient sound of the amp being on... it just makes it silent. This wouldn't really be all that noticeable in a live situation. It doesn't do anything for stopping feedback. Putting it before the preamp (before the input of your amp head) allows you to get rid of feedback, which is what most people are looking to do.

That makes sense if there was an issue with feedback. I've always been very careful in how I position my amp to myself, and as well as how I play in regards to eliminating feedback so it was never much of an issue for me. But the hissing from the amp during otherwise clean stops was very annoying to me, which is why my gate ended up in my effects loop.

OP said "i'm looking for that dead silent stop live"

So if the your noise your trying to eliminate is feedback gate before the amp, and if the noise is amp hum gate in the loop.

ns2_4cablemethod.gif

Kills feedback and gates the amp signal as well. Only works with series loops though, sorry Mesa guyz.

ns2_4cablemethod.gif

Kills feedback and gates the amp signal as well. Only works with series loops though, sorry Mesa guyz.

I have to add, the image mentions a preamp out with a power amp in. Just to reiterate, if your amp has a preamp out and a normal effects loop, you cannot use the preamp out to the effects return because the preamp out is post effects return in the signal chain for most amps.

Some amps have a pre out, power in, which is just another way to label send and return on an effects loop (The Spider valve is laid out this way), but for amps like the 5150 which have an effects loop and a preamp out, the preamp out is post effects loop.

Eh, I think it's pretty self-explanatory, you'd have to be pretty dumb to fuck this up :p It does say, after all, OR before "preamp out" and "power amp in."

I'm kind of glad I play in a band where noise reduction is completely counter-productive for what we're trying to do hah. In the studio I've been using a NS2 in the effects loop through whatever head the guitarist brings in (being a bass player I've not felt the need to have anything but the Tiny Terror I use for my own stuff). Its been working ok. I'd love to try that 4 cable method though, I never even thought of it.

i'm really confused about the gate pedal "X" configuration.. it seems.. totally wrong?

you're gonna play a riff, then it'll open the connection between guitar in and power amp in, i.e, getting a really weak guitar signal into the power amp?

and then to top it off, you're connecting the pre-amp out, into the pre-amp input?! how can that possibly work!

just follow the god damn labels that are on it, guitar in -> guitar out, FX loop send -> FX loop return!

i'm really confused about the gate pedal "X" configuration.. it seems.. totally wrong?

It's not, but it seems wrong to you, because you are not understanding signal flow. The signal flow on NS2 is input - loop send - loop return - output. If there is nothing connected to the send and return, the signal flow is simply input - output.

If you do it like it reads in the picture, the signal chain is as follows and the orange part is the part that gets muted:

guitar - pedal input - pedal loop send - what ever pedals - guitar preamp input - amp fx loop send - pedal loop return - pedal output - amp fx loop return - power amp

so this is why the NS-2 never worked in my Mark IV FX Loop....hmmmmm.

I always run the gate in front of the amp, as the hiss in live settings isnt bad enough to worry about. I'd rather have a nice, tight stop without and shitty string noise or feedback than kill the audiences ears. Soooo many bands I've heard live not using a gate, and their pauses and stops all sound like total shit.

I would definately go for the "x wired" configuartion, that was a pretty cool thing with my Digitech 2101
that I used in former times :D You could use one noise gate as the first part in your chain and another
with different settings as the last part, so I could get a really tight sound with no hiss and feedback.
Played a few gigs with my Randall RH100 head a few years ago and I could even use the cheap as shit
Behringer Noise Gate like this, it was pretty awesome because I liked to use many mids with that amp
but it was very noisy with that setting without a noisegate, with the noise gate, it was almost dead silent,
it even reduced the hum of Boss GE7 I used in the loop (god damn, what a noisy pedal) which I used to remove
some of the 400hz stuff and some lows to cut through the mix better.