5150 fucked up

MrLee

Jul 31, 2006
Oslo, Norway
Hi! A friend of mine has a 5150 II. Suddely one day it sounded like shit, high zizzling sound and almost no guitar.. I recommended tube change. He changed the power tubes with almost no result. He also tried some other pre tubes with no luck..

Does anybody know what to do?

Thanks!

if its no tube, maybe its a bad output transformer...but it is something simpler probably!

Yeah, it's not easy to diagnose past tube failures, I'd say you should always take it to a tech, once you're past the things you can change yourself (tubes, fuses, etc.).

WAIT!! Before you spend anything exorbitant on 'repairs', get some contact cleaner and thoroughly clean the FX loop jacks, and while you're at it, all the jacks and controls. Spray some contact cleaner in the jacks and plug a cable in and out a few times...that ought to do it. The problem is almost certainly a dirty or possibly corroded FX return jack. Especially if the FX loop is not used very often...try this first, it is by far the most common ailment to cause the symptoms you described!
Good luck brother!

WAIT!! Before you spend anything exorbitant on 'repairs', get some contact cleaner and thoroughly clean the FX loop jacks, and while you're at it, all the jacks and controls. Spray some contact cleaner in the jacks and plug a cable in and out a few times...that ought to do it. The problem is almost certainly a dirty or possibly corroded FX return jack. Especially if the FX loop is not used very often...try this first, it is by far the most common ailment to cause the symptoms you described!
Good luck brother!

++1, definitely do this first!!!!