5150 valves?

greyskull

Mar 22, 2006
so i was thinking of dropping some new valves in my 5150... no real reason. just felt like it

at the moment it has sovtek 6l6 wgc /5881s in the power section( think thats what it came with), and the stock peavey super 7 12ax7's in the pre.

can i have some decent reccomendations as to what to change em to?
at the moment i think the amp is way too noisy (valve age?) and the top end (its a block letter model so, its 14 years old) can be a little harsh...

whaddya say?

i sort o meant the valves specifically, and i dont think watford valves has the jjs that have been reccomended for this amp so bump bum bumpbumpbump

www.watfordvalves.com as recommended by razor is the only place i know really :(- for all your valve and speaker needs :p And bump for this one, i'd like to know what set to get as backup for when mine die out.

Also guys, when they do die- is it a case of drag and drop or do i need to take it to a shop for biasing or some crap??? And how much does this cost around :ill:

Razorjack said:
Since 6l6's are power tubes and 12ax7's pre-amp tubes I think he would find a few problems changing between the two.

Ah yeah well *ahem* obviously I was just testing you... :loco: congratulations, you pass!

So yeah, 6l6 to EL34's even...

Kev: THIS thread says 5150's are fixed bias several times - and it's a thread that YOU started you muppet! :lol:

Steve

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
Ah yeah well *ahem* obviously I was just testing you... :loco: congratulations, you pass!

So yeah, 6l6 to EL34's even...

Kev: THIS thread says 5150's are fixed bias several times - and it's a thread that YOU started you muppet! :lol:

Steve

haha, i know... but... on other forums people seem to have said the opposite to me.... help :cry: