6 VS. 7 String

Kamileon

Knowledge is Pain
Aug 21, 2007
Wisconsin
Hey Kazrog,

I've read your post regarding the guitars you use on the album, and well, I must admit it cleared some things up for me. I could tell some songs had a chunkier guitar tone than others, this explains it. For sure, though, the thicker sound out of the six string like on Thought Experiment sets an entirely different mood, well, at least in my opinion.

The overall winner, I would have to say then, is the ESP LTD F-2005 for crunch, tone, thickness, and evilness (if that's even a word).

Kamileon

Dude, I totally agree with you. The 7 string sounds weaker on "Dark Fiber" and that's because it was a maple-bodied LTD SC-607. I've since sold that guitar and upgraded to a Schecter Jeff Loomis - which sounds much better and a lot closer to the mahogany tone of the F-2005. The Jeff Loomis is made of Ash, which sounds pretty amazing IMO.

Also, I did my tone dialling on my 6505+ for the 6-string, and didn't readjust for the 7-string due to time constraints. I probably could have gotten better tone from the 7-string if I'd spent more time on the reamping. Live and learn...