60% ABV Beer- The Strongest In The World- For Now

aqnimal

Aug 15, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ
120 Proof Beer – The Strongest Beer in the World - For Now

By Jim Cohen | August 2, 2010

startthefuturebeer.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen, just one week after “The End of History” was released by BrewDog, the record has been shattered. A Dutch brewery, brewery, 't Koelschip (The Refrigerated Ship), has recently released a 60% ABV (120 proof) beer. The beer is called "Start the Future" adequately named after BrewDog’s “The End of History” (how cute).

If you have followed Beer Universe over the past several months, you will know that we have covered this topic through several series of articles:

* 55% ABV Beer? You’ve Got to Be Kidding Me...
* When is a Beer Too Strong?
* The Strongest Beers in the Universe

At 60% ABV, the Dutch brewery is really pushing the envelope. As a comparison, there are only a handful of mainstream alcoholic beverages which are stronger: Bacardi 151 and Everclear. Both of these beverages are 75.5% ABV (Everclear is also available at 95% where legal). By the way, sometimes rubbing alcohol (the stuff you can’t and shouldn’t drink) ranges from 70% - 100% depending on the manufacturer.

Thinking about 60% ABV another way is comparing your traditional 5% ABV beer (let’s take Budweiser). If you drank 12 Budweisers in a row, you’d get the exact same buzz from drinking one bottle of Start the Future. I suppose if you are only trying to drink 1 beer when you go out, this may be the one that you’d want to select. Although, please remember this is supposed to be consumed more as a spirit than a beer.

Start the Future is reasonably priced at €35 ($45) a bottle and doesn’t come in a stuffed dead animal. If you recall, The End of History came in a squirrel’s body and was priced at over $750, as there were only 12 bottles initially produced.

We were stunned with a 55% ABV, thinking that it would take another brewer months to beat the record. After a week on the record books, Jan Nijboer, the brewer, showed us. Will this be the end of the competition?

"It has become a little competition," Nijboer said to Dutch news agency ANP. "You should see it as a joke."

Well we’re not sure that at 60% ABV you can call it a joke. However, with a reasonably priced bottle of Start the Future, we’d be willing to give this brew a try. Now we can only look forward for the next brewery to shatter the record…

Your Choice. Your Beer. Drink Up.
- Beer Universe

Now I'm waiting for someone to come up with a 100% abv beer.

I don't care how strong it says it is, nothing will ever beat Tennents Super.

tennents_super_can.jpg

mmmmmmmmm fizzy petrol taste.

If I had to choose between 120 proof beer and a 120 proof alcohol... I'm never gonna go for the beer.

Trying to finish that would slay me. I still want to give it a go though. Anyone know where i can buy this in the UK?

I remember when "The End of History" info was released on beeradvocate, all of the members started shitting themselves proclaiming it wasn't really beer and blah blah blah and they were appalled at the price

this looks do-able however. $50? sheeeeiiittt

The fact that people have paid more for black metal albums does not make $50 for a beer any less ridiculous tbh

Can you link to the thread?

I would buy this for $50. The novelty and curiosity factor is worth that. Split it a few ways, and it's not much of a cost at all.

Later this year I'll likely pay $50 for a bottle of Goose Island's Bourbon County Brand Stout Rare. But I suspect that will be worth it solely for how good it is.