8 Pre adat that kicks ass

Wackner

Jul 9, 2007
Aarhus - Denmark
www.kruzial.com
Hey all !

Know there are lots of other post on this, but just can’t make up my mind what to get. Have to bye me an 8 channel pre with adapt out. I want to use it with my 002 rack for rock drums and would like to have one that’s very nice on evil dirt guitars and also bass to. Maybe a good DI in case of reamping to.

The question is, witch of these will you say is the best choice based on pre and converters?

RME Octamic D/II
Mackie ONYX 800 R
Audient ASP 008

As said on the gearslutz forum, from what I heard the audient is the best. But thats quite a big leap in budget.

I think the RME octamic uses the fireface pre's which aren't amazing, so I've heard.

Sorry for the shallow opinion, can't say I tried these boxes, maybe you should get them all and see how they work for your use?:loco:

Actually, in the blind pre shootout that Oz did, the Fireface pres were quite well received, so maybe the RME would be the way to go. And don't forget the Presonus Digimax LT in your list of boxes to consider!

if the mackie breaks, parts for their products have been known to take upwards of 4-6 months to come in, don't really knwo if that is a deciding factor or not...jsut seen alot of ppl with mackie gear get really mad about that.

I did a comparison between Safe Sound Audio, API, RME Quad and Focusrite Octopre LE.

for Vox the Focusrite where as good as the RME, the RME were a bit darker (not necessairily in a bad way).
For distorted guitars the Octopre was second to the API (actually quite similar with a tad less dynamic and "je ne sais quoi") and shit all over the RME which really sucked for the distorted guitars cause it sounded dull and kinda muffled

Don't laugh... but for drums the behringer ada8000 is actually passable...It's on the level of the other sub $1000 consumer pres and costs around $200.... clean quiet pres that can get the job done....

Don't laugh... but for drums the behringer ada8000 is actually passable...It's on the level of the other sub $1000 consumer pres and costs around $200.... clean quiet pres that can get the job done....

Yeah spread them around on the toms :headbang:

I once did a reamping test with my digi 002r pre and a SPL Goldmike pre. 57 and E609 mics

The digi002 was clearly much better.

Anyone tried distorted guitars on any of these?

RME Octamic D/II
Mackie ONYX 800 R
Audient ASP 008

I once did a reamping test with my digi 002r pre and a SPL Goldmike pre. 57 and E609 mics

The digi002 was clearly much better.

Anyone tried distorted guitars on any of these?

RME Octamic D/II
Mackie ONYX 800 R
Audient ASP 008

that's really strange, cuse the SPL is quite good (actually I like it alot) and the 002r is known to have some of the worst preamps on earth :erk:

that's really strange, cuse the SPL is quite good (actually I like it alot) and the 002r is known to have some of the worst preamps on earth :erk:

Well I really wonder on that one too. Did a test earlier with same results. It sounded kinda more unclean in a bad way. Don’t think the tubes where to overloaded. Are you using it for smash dirt guitars with luck?

Later this week I am try out the Onyx 800r and RME Octamic II. Then I will make a test with them all and upload the results so you can here the difference. A big shame I cant get the Audiant also.

Audient is crap!!

I've done some A/B tests with it and it really isn't much good at all

I'd be happy to post clips when i get a sec