80's Hair Metal

Originally posted by bleed for me
actually, tony rombolaof godsmack isn't that bad of a guitarist, he's pretty good with a wah wah pedal...the papa roach guy is good at making catchy riffs, the korn guys are crap guitarists but their stuff sounds good because they use a ton of effect

Well anybody could be good at the wah pedal cause its not that hard. I mean most godsmack songs are like the same note over and over again. i mean look at alive and whatever. the solo is a really simple solo in alive. the guy from papa roach might know how to play but i think its kind of cheap that he took that iron maiden riff. he gets so much praise for that even though he stole it. and i know its hard to do anything anymore without taking someone elses stuff but cmon. thats just a little too obvious. and your right, the guys from korn do suck. :p

Originally posted by SentencedToBurn

I mean most godsmack songs are like the same note over and over again. i mean look at alive and whatever. the solo is a really simple solo in alive. :p
They are probably one of the most overrated bands in the history of music....I like to call them alice in metallica. The two bands they WISH they were :lol:

Originally posted by Demonspell
This thread makes me grateful that I missed most of the 80s...come on people, glam is a relic best left forgotten!

There's some good music from that era. Blue Murder, for example - with Tonny Iommi, and the Whitesnake guitarist. And others listed above.

Does that mean in 20 years, Opeth will be a relic?:cry:

Originally posted by Triumphant Apostle
They are probably one of the most overrated bands in the history of music....I like to call them alice in metallica. The two bands they WISH they were :lol:

actually dude, this is funny. i live near them, or where they started out actually and i remember about 5 years ago, the first time i heard "keep away" on the radio here. at first, as soon as the riff started i was like "yeah, new chains!" but then rocko, the dj here that is pretty much to blame for their success informed us it was a local. i saw them twice in small clubs here before they got signed and took off. both nights they closed with a cover version of "would?"

Originally posted by metalmancpa

There's some good music from that era. Blue Murder, for example - with Tonny Iommi, and the Whitesnake guitarist. And others listed above.

Actually, Iommi was never in Blue Murder. The lineup was: John Sykes - guitar/vocals, Tony Franklin - bass, Carmine Appice - drums. They released two studio albums and one live album. I'm a big-time fan of their stuff. Absolutely an amazing superstar power trio.

How does being technically good at guitar gives you an excuse for being a jackass monewhore? You might give respect cause of their ability but their music was prefabricated and their image was as bad as the image linking park stain or limp dick carry around this days, they are equally idiots. One of the idiots could play cheese pentatonic solos and devoted half of their live in mastering sweps and leggatos only to waste their talent on patetic comercial music, you might as well take Mozart and put him as the keyboard player from the Britney Spears Band and letting him do an impresive solo from time to time, its still bullshit and i would still spit on his face.

james???? james hetfield?? fuck him, hes not that great of a guitar player. neither is hammet. old metallica is good but people make it out to be better then it is. if you were even talking about james hetfield that is.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Misanthrope
so, somebody DOES agree with me about them being seriously overrated. Goodie.

Oh hell yeah they are! :D But that's for another post entirely all together...
I started out in my perrenial quest with 80's metal also...
I still say Extreme's "Three Sides To Every Story" is a great album! Great orchestrations and they took a HUGE risk with it, even if every song is top-notch. Never got the attention it deserved...
Nuno Bettencourt is one awesome guitar player, great tone and phrasing.
His solo album is kickass too!

I bet the 80's were fun times...