80s High range vocals - any tips/guides/lessons?

"Evil" Aidy

Mörti Viventi
Jul 15, 2007
Stamford, Lincs
Does anyone here know of any guides or tuition for improving on singing? I've found quite a bit on death metal and screamo stuff on the web but that'snot what I'm after :loco:. I'm a big fan of the 80s style and I'm looking to increase my range a bit (if possible :lol:). I'd love to know some techniques to achieve this kind of sound.

Here's some examples of the kind of stuff I mean (I could think of thousands though):

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bH5gmbugmxM[/ame]

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ5rllUvx2E[/ame]

and

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1w_UQTYxXw[/ame]

(I think this was 1990 though?)

Warrell Dane whoops serious ass! Phil Anselmo on the Power Metal and Cowboys albums sounded awesome too.

:headbang:

step one, but your balls in a vice.

whatever you do, don't do that "fake" high pitched voice, like people do when they're kidding around that's all in the throat. I thought I could get away with it in the past, and put my voice to tape like that and everything. needless to say, people weren't fooled.

it would seem some people are just born to do it. there's gotta be old vhs tapes on ebay or something. i bet that dude in nitro has an instructional tape out somewheres.

i love the lineup headbanging in that sanctuary video. i didn't know they made one for future tense...

The singer in our band learned to sing like Phil Anselmo did on those albums.
The way he did that was by trying to do falsettos REALLY low(In volume.), and when he got the hang of it, he pushed it a little bit louder until he managed to do it when almost screaming.

He apperantly read this somewhere on the net, and the reason you should start to do it low is because:

A: You are less likely to hurt your vocal cords.
B: Its easier to get that raspiness when you're not pushing your vocal cords.

Il check with our singer if he has any other pointers to ya!

1. ZEN OF SCREAMING
2. ZEN OF SCREAMING 2

I've just watched part of these and the tips are amazin. It covers general breath control/singing, not just screamy fagrock.

PRO TIP
If you even THINK about wanting to sing like the dude from Cinderella. Fuck you, asshole.

step one, but your balls in a vice.

whatever you do, don't do that "fake" high pitched voice, like people do when they're kidding around that's all in the throat. I thought I could get away with it in the past, and put my voice to tape like that and everything. needless to say, people weren't fooled.

it would seem some people are just born to do it. there's gotta be old vhs tapes on ebay or something. i bet that dude in nitro has an instructional tape out somewheres.

i love the lineup headbanging in that sanctuary video. i didn't know they made one for future tense...

I'll have a look dude, hopefully I can find some retro VHS tapes!

The singer in our band learned to sing like Phil Anselmo did on those albums.
The way he did that was by trying to do falsettos REALLY low(In volume.), and when he got the hang of it, he pushed it a little bit louder until he managed to do it when almost screaming.

He apperantly read this somewhere on the net, and the reason you should start to do it low is because:

A: You are less likely to hurt your vocal cords.
B: Its easier to get that raspiness when you're not pushing your vocal cords.

Il check with our singer if he has any other pointers to ya!

That would be REALLY helpfull dude, all tips greatly appreciated!!! I gather you're into the 80s stuff then too?

1. ZEN OF SCREAMING
2. ZEN OF SCREAMING 2

I've just watched part of these and the tips are amazin. It covers general breath control/singing, not just screamy fagrock.

PRO TIP
If you even THINK about wanting to sing like the dude from Cinderella. Fuck you, asshole.

I'll check those out - I presumed they were for just screaming but I'm sure to give anything a chance.

Oh yeah! This one's for you brother... :lol:

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mdWh9IT_oZk[/ame]

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7811525]That would be REALLY helpfull dude, all tips greatly appreciated!!! I gather you're into the 80s stuff then too?[/quote]

In my opinion the best music was made between 1975 and 1995, and I think that it peaked between 85 and 90, so yeah, im REALLY in to 80s stuff! :headbang:

Don't buy that Zen of Screaming video, its nothing new, I wasted my money on that. 70% of the video is filler with people telling you how good of a teacher the lady is, and only a 30% of tips and lessons.

She fucking does!

susan.jpg

t_bfmvmelissacross.jpg

Melissa Cross gets on my tits something rotten. She looks like Susan Kennedy from Neighbours.

I'm not a fan much of Melissa Cross but I AM a fan of the Kennedy's in Neighbours.

Susan Kennedy is pretty irritating by Karl Kennedy is fuckin' awesome dude.

I'll check out the Jim Gillette and ebook you mentioned, cheers for that!

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7812870]
Susan Kennedy is pretty irritating by Karl Kennedy is fuckin' awesome dude.
[/quote]

Having left Australia 12 years ago, I was disgusted to recently find out that since I left one of my old bandmates plays in the backing band for the dude who plays Karl Kennedy.

My god.....:lol:

Having left Australia 12 years ago, I was disgusted to recently find out that since I left one of my old bandmates plays in the backing band for the dude who plays Karl Kennedy.

My god.....:lol:

He played in Perth (The real, Scottish one :loco:) a year or so ago... I woulda gone but i had to work :(