90's Metal

Jockthrax

Mar 9, 2002
Glasgow
www.anthrax.com
Even though Kurt and co were supposed to be killing metal there was still a load of my favorite metal albums of all time released..... Nowadays there's only the odd one or two that i'd consider even listening to.

Personal favorites:
Anthrax: SOWN & Stomp 442:headbang:
Prong: Cleansing
Slayer:Divine Intervention
Megadeth: Countdown to Extinction
Headswim: Flood
The Almighty: Powertrippin':headbang:
Biohazard: State of the world address

Here's my two cents:

Faith No More: King for a Day
Strapping Young Lad: City
Samael: Passage
Anthrax: Sound of White Noise
NIN: The Downward Spiral
Monster Magnet: Dopes to Infinity
White Zombie: Astrocreep 2000
Ocean Machine: Biomech
I know there's more.

schenkadere said:
Never considered NIN or White Zombie to be metal.

Industrial/thrash/fucking zombie core??????????????? :loco:

Astro Creep had some really heavy stuff on there, sure they had load of samples and stuff but i would still consider this to be a metal album..... But fuck what do i know? I bought Jon Bon Jovi's solo album (i was about 7 to be fair)....

Here's a few that I particularly enjoyed (a few others have already been mentioned):

No More Tears - Ozzy
Pride & Glory - Pride & Glory
Low - Testament
The Gathering - Testament
Demanufacture - Fear Factory
Chaos A.D. - Sepultura
Far Beyond Driven - Pantera
Symbol of Salvation - Armored Saint
Art of Rebellion - Suicidal Tendencies
Overnight Sensation - Motorhead

Reactions: Jockthrax
Let's see...
A - D...
Anthrax - Stomp 442
Anthrax - Sound Of White Noise
Anthrax - Persistence of Time
Anthrax - Volume 8 - The Threat Is Real
Armored Saint - Symbol Of Salvation
Black Sabbath - Reunion (Live)
Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
Alice Cooper - The Last Temptation
Corrosion Of Conformity - Blind
Corrosion Of Conformity - Deliverence
Corrosion Of Conformity - Wiseblood
Danzig - II - Lucifuge
Danzig - III - How The Gods Kill
Death Angel - Act III

And that's only A - D
I would say there was quite a bit of good metal for a genre that was supposed to be on it's death bed in the 90's! And I haven't even gotten into Hard Rock, just metal!

spacebeer said:
the 90's definately were pretty bad for metal, I can think of only a handful of albums that were actually any good.

:lol: :lol: WOW:lol: :lol:

You really need to get out from under the "stuck in the eighties" rock. There was some amazing albums that came out in the 90's.

Sick of it All-Scratch the Surface
Faith No More-Angel Dust
Helmet-Meantime
Helmet-Betty
Pantera-Far Beyond Driven
Carcass-Heartwork
Carnivore-Retaliation
Anthrax-Stomp 442
Sepultura-Chaos A.D.
Suicidal Tendencies-Lights....Camera...Revolution
Morbid Angel-Domination
Blood Duster-Yeest
Slayer-Seasons in the Abyss
Mr Bungle-S/T
Clutch-Transnational Speedway League: Anthems, Anecdotes & Undeniable Truths
Melvins-Stoner Witch
Melvins-Bullhead
Vision of Disorder-Imprint
Megadeth-Rust in Piece
Down-NOLA
Death-Individual Thought Patterns
C.O.C.-deliverance
Tool-Aenima
Tool-Undertow
Tool-Opiate

Jockthrax said:
Even though Kurt and co were supposed to be killing metal there was still a load of my favorite metal albums of all time released.....
I don't even think that Kurt& Co were actually killing metal, or, at least, real metal. They might have put one of the many nails in the coffin of Poison, Ratt, Dokken and alikes, but that was (my opinion) a very good thing to do.

The fact that Maiden and Metallica (for metal fans atleast),both took a huge dive in the '90s has something to do with people thinking Metal sucked in the '90s. I mean they were the 2 biggest metal bands on the planet and they both were in a tailspin. I think bands like FNM, Rage Against the Machine along with Tool, bands that didn't fit an established genres' perameters, actually were the ones that shone the brightest in that decade.
There was actually some great heavy music in that decade, it just didn't fit quite with those genre that were set in previous decades.

Prowler121 said:
The fact that Maiden and Metallica (for metal fans atleast),both took a huge dive in the '90s has something to do with people thinking Metal sucked in the '90s. I mean they were the 2 biggest metal bands on the planet and they both were in a tailspin. I think bands like FNM, Rage Against the Machine along with Tool, bands that didn't fit an established genres' perameters, actually were the ones that shone the brightest in that decade.
There was actually some great heavy music in that decade, it just didn't fit quite with those genre that were set in previous decades.
I'm not quite sure what you're considering a dive. Financially both bands stayed secure to say the least, in terms of popularity they continued to pack arenas, they had best-selling albums during the 90s, they also had shitty albums at that period - but that's life... At some point they had their own crisises, like any other band, or an artist, poet, scientist... Nirvana and Pearl Jam had nothing to do with that.

THEBALDGUYFROMBLACKLODGEVIDEO said:
I'm not quite sure what you're considering a dive. Financially both bands stayed secure to say the least, in terms of popularity they continued to pack arenas, they had best-selling albums during the 90s, they also had shitty albums at that period - but that's life... At some point they had their own crisises, like any other band, or an artist, poet, scientist... Nirvana and Pearl Jam had nothing to do with that.
That;s why I said (as far as Metal fans are concerned). Maiden fans got treated to 4 shitty albums in a row in the '90s which eventually caught up to them until they couldn't fill 2,000 seaters in the states. And metal fans were driven away by the direction metallica went in the 90s ,even if they gained more pop fans in the process.