A/B/Y Box Recommendation?

462studio

462 Studio
Apr 26, 2006
Maine
www.myspace.com
Hi all,

I'm finding myself in the need of an A/B/Y box for guitar. I have a few different pedals, DI boxes, etc, but nothing is working how I'd like. Here is my goal:

Guitar > ABY > PODxt
> Direct Box (Mackie 1200F Instrument DI)
> Tuner/Physical Guitar Amp (These are serialized)

I find that using any splitters, DI pass throughs, etc, that I have, I end up with too much crosstalk between the outputs and they are not isolated enough.

I'd like to be able to split the signal three ways, as illustrated above, with complete isolation. I'd also like the price to be as close to the $100 range as possible.

For the record, I want to be able to split it three ways for different scenarios, most of the time, I write and record with a real amp, but during late nights, I would like to be able to use the PODxt just to get any ideas I might have down while capturing a DI to be re-amped through the real amp later. I also don't want to have to disconnect and reconnect to switch between them, I find it to be a giant pain in the ass.

What are some of your favorite brands/models for this application?

By their nature they are going to be noisy, you have to lift the ground off of one of the amps or devices you are plugin into, typically the device that is having the ground loop fault. As MetalJonesy mentioned crosstalk, if the impedances of the inputs you are running into are too low than one device can reflect back current in the opposite direction (Eddie currents) which will make its way to the other device, usually something a leak resistor in both signals can't fix, or in more expensive cases a transformer.

I saw some boxes with ground lift or isolated outputs to eliminate ground loops and whatnot that didn't cost an arm and a leg (like the Radial). Anyone remember some?

edit: oh yeah, this one http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/RadialBigShotABY.html from Radial! :D

Oooh. Does anyone know if I could use the tuner output on that guy as a usable output source? My reasoning is, if that tuner output wasn't impaired somehow, they would have labeled it as a third output, or output "C"....