A bad for a good.. HDD story

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
My computer decides to fuck 2 days ago. I was able to fix it with some magic (boot seq, fix mrb, etc).
But I then took out the 2nd hard drive used for back-ups and notice its jumper: with jumper = 1.5G/s and without = 3G/s. I look up my motherboard on the internet and it supports Sata II (so the 3G/s).
I then decide to get some info about using a drive for recording and found out that have a drive for the OS and samples + another drive for recording and backups is better because you read on the 1st drive while writting on the 2nd one (given that you don't load your sesions from the backup folder...)

The thig is, I got my computer in 2008 and feel like a total noob.

If this happened to me, might as well happen to you and I just wanted to inform you that you might be running your HDD at half its speed. :lol:

I'm taking the opportunity to format and re-organise my folders/partitions. It works quite fine but haven't formatted in 3½ years.
How to you organise your stuff ?

Local C: All of my programs and VST's
1 TB internal for all of my recording files and project
500gb External for backups and general BS files
500gb External recording files backup

Looking to get an SSD as my new local in the future

till the other day I thought an SSD required 2 hard drive like RAID and was frowned upon when I asked the question to a dude. I guess no one uses RAID anymore

RAID has its pro and cons and there are many different types. Some people suggest using an SSD as the audio drive as once you have the software and samples loaded into the memory then that's the SSD's job done so to speak. So having the audio on an SSD then gives the apps faster access time to your audio. Personally I use my SSD as my boot/C/home drive and I have two SATA II 7200RPM HHDs for audio with each session split across the two drives with a view to buy more SSDs in the future when another GAS attack takes hold. The reason being is that I just want my OS, apps, and sample libraries to load and work quicker. For a computer as old as yours an SSD will be the best upgrade you can do, they can be obtained very cheap now, my machine is as old as yours and it made a BIG improvement.

There is a ton of info out there, it sounds like you are using a PC, Tom's Hardware is a great source of info.

I think the real noobs are the persons who built your machine, not you.