A bit of help

Astral Poetry

"Eros! Your hand...!"
Mar 21, 2003
"...it's missing!"
Does anyone have the descriptions that Toby posted of each song on his solo album? He took them off his myspace page and, since I believe the cd will be coming in any day now, I'd like to have them for the first listen (you know, ritualistic type stuff). Please pos....Boston Legal's on!!

I found one...

Kandu vs. Corky (Horrorca)

This one's a drone metal song that loves bell-shaped things. The rhythm is basically a bell-curve shape over and over again, and some of the instrumentation (bells, and sine waves) are themselves bell-shaped. Part of the original idea was to mic things really loud but play them extra-quietly, so that they sounded really artifact-laden on tape. The strings at the beginning use this idea, as well as some of the cymbals, which we miked right above the rim of each, and a simple touch would produce an insanely resonant bass tone. That's basically all there is to it... droney, bellcurvy, miked loud, and microtonal. The title recalls this incident... horror + orca = horrorca! Below you can listen to the entire song!!

additional musicians - sam gutterman, sheel dave, mia matsumiya, ryan mcguire, forbes graham, doug la rosa.

Hmm...found another, for "Ruby Blood," which I believe was taken off of the album and replaced with "Eptaceros."

Ruby Blood

This song probably gave me the most trouble out of anything I've ever worked on. basically I started off with one of the ideas I mentioned on the horrorca page, that is, miking things really loudly and then touching them in unconventional ways. For this song, I knew that certain metal objects such as cymbals or pots would produce weird but recognizable tones under these circumstances, so I set out to do a piece consisting of only that. It didn't really work, and I blame the fact that out of all the objects I had, there were only maybe 10 variant tones between them. (Who knew that most cookware makers tune their pots to either G# or F#?) In any case I ultimately had to end up adding guitar and vocals to make the piece into something more than just a soundscape.

The video from the CMJ showcase reminded me of the sample of "Ruby Bones" that I heard...