A few Questions for Mikael =)

Thorns of Sorrow

My pic is squished
Apr 18, 2002
New York City
Visit site
Dear Mikael,

I know you frequent these boards on occasion, and I'd like to know if you can take the time from your busy schedule to answer some questions I have. I'm not an interviwer or anything like that, just asking these questions from my heart.

btw, if anyone on the board can answer some, please do..=)

ok,

When you compose the mellow parts of songs, do you usually start with a vocal idea in mind, or does it all come from the guitar first and foremost? Also, do you write the melody line first, or the chord progression?

Have the two Martin's learned all the songs from Morningrise and Orchid? If not how long would it usally take for them to get the a song down?

lastly, kind of a stupid one, but im curious, what brand of cigarettes do you smoke? hehe

Thanks Mikael for your time, you inspire me like no other musican has, if you just dont have the time or whatever to answer some of these, it's ok, I'll just ask you if I get to meet you on the next US tour. Thanks again.

-Elliot

I write basically all my stuff on a acoustic guitar. Recently I've bought a little recording device where I can save all my ideas. I basically start with the riff which I record with a beat or whatever. Then I just try to come up with a cool vocal line on top of that.

The Martins don't know all those songs yet. We choose a setlist before we go on tour and that's the songs we're gonna concentrate on. Some of the stuff we'll probably never play live.
And we never rehearse just for the fun of it anymore which is sad, but that's how it gets.

I smoke Marlboro lights which are considered girl cigarettes here, but they are all I can handle so....

Hope that answers your questions.
Mike

Just a sort of music-unrelated question if I may...

Are you ever planning on touring in Australia? (haha:D)

I know we're out in the middle of nowhere and all that, but most people overseas seem to think of this place as really great, so yeah I was just wondering.

Also, we need a detailed breakdown of the Still Life story, as some details seem to be interpreted differently, though I gather this is the intended effect!:lol: Rock on, Mikael!

Any chance we'll see Peter or Martin x 2 on the board?

More questions....

During the writing of MAYH I started to work more by myself for some reason, I don't really know why. Our earlier "twin-lead" songs needed to be written by 2 persons so we could try out all our ideas and harmonies at once. I did the writing for our last 2 records on my own but Peter still contributes with riffs here and there. It's more convenient for me these days I guess. I loose my focus if there's somebody in the same room while I work.

It's in the studio where we come together as a band. Everybody contributes with their own playingstyle which I think is essential for our sound. I've been the main writer since the very beginning so I guess it was only a matter of time til I felt that I could write songs completely on my own.

Australia...don't know yet. Our agency has recieved offers but the Aussie promoters are strange...they keep us hanging.

Still life story....hmm, I don't like to explain what it's about. It's not really important anymore. What matters is your own opinions.

Peter + Martins on the board...no idea. I guess they check it once in a while just like me.

Is that all?
Cheers
Mike

Hm, heres one ive wondered. Where you ever a shredder? I mean theres never any over the top sweeping and tapping and the like in any opeth stuff (which is a good thing) but can you or peter play like that or did you never bother to perfect those outrageuos soloing skills?

I dont post much on this board. but i have a question that i had always wanted to ask.

Is the music you create, intended to be esoteric?
That is, do you write / create for only you & your band mates and your direct fans.
Would you be happy, does it matter, if everyone listened to your music or just the ones you belive to understand the expression of your music.

Thank you MIKE!!! It's such an amazing feeling that my musical hero and part time god took the time to answer my questions (yes i sound like a lil girl..hehe) And for the record I used to smoke Marlboro lights, switched to Camel Lights lately. Thanks agian Mike, see you on tour my friend.