A Heart of Gold: A Tribute To Woods Of Ypres

The Black Death

WoY supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Burial ground... Quebec
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176765

The cover artwork for the forthcoming tribute album to David Gold — a founding member of the Ontario, Canada-based black and doom metal band WOODS OF YPRES, who was killed in December in a car accident near Barrie, Ontario — can be seen below.

The project's mastermind, Steph LeDrew, states about the collection: "On December 21, the world lost WOODS OF YPRES founder/frontman David Gold. Not only was the entire local metal community but the international metal family mourned the loss of such a brilliant soul. As a thank you and farewell to WOODS OF YPRES, I reached out to those who were influenced by WOODS and David, so join me in creating a musical salute to one of the greatest doom metal bands to unleash onto the underground metal scene."

Arists and songs featured on the album are as follows:

* NOVEMBERS DOOM - "Wet Leather"
* GYPSY CHIEF GOLIATH - "Suicide Cargoload"
* ECLIPSE ETERNAL - "Crossing The 45th Parallel"
* EMPYREAN PLAGUE - "Shedding The Deadwood"
* PANZERFAUST - "A Meeting Place And Time"
* PAGAN RITUAL - "The Shams Of Optimism"
* AMARANTH - "Allure Of The Earth"
* ALBIREON - "Retrosleep In The Morning Calm"
* ANEMIC - "The Sun Was In My Eyes: Part Doom"
* BEGOTTEN - "The Sea Of Immeasureable Loss"
* RELIQUIS - "Career Suicide"
* JOEL VIOLETTE and RAE AMITAY - "Silver"
* CANOPY - "Falling Apart"
* UNBOWED - "Your Ontario Town Is A Burial Ground"
* DEATHMARCH - "Northern Cold"
* KUHRZARTH - "Finality"
* THE GOV' AND FRIENDS - "Intro: The Looming Of Dust In The Dark"
* THE BEAR HUNTERS - "Thrill Of The Struggle"
* SVARTE KRAKE - "You Were The Light"
* JUSTIN BENDER (INTO ETERNITY) - "Trillium: The 3rd Of Three Winters"

A release date for the effort has not yet been announced.

For more information, http://www.facebook.com/AHeartOfGoldWOY

Formed in 2002, WOODS OF YPRES has earned critical acclaim for its ever-evolving, envelope-pushing mix of blackened doom metal. Most often compared to bands such as AGALLOCH and TYPE O NEGATIVE, WOODS OF YPRES toes a thin line between the catchy, the artistic and the extreme to create an unmistakable signature sound.

woodstribute.jpg

I'm unsure what to think of this... why isn't "Alternate Ending" on this compilation or whatever you want to call it?

- Joel

Dude! I almost freaked. I almost thought the last name on the list was going to say Justin Bieber. Haha! Sorry to Justin Bender! :p

I will definitely buy it! Would be awesome to have this on vinyl but...well..a CD would be OK too. ;)
Thanks for doing this! November's Doom doing "Wet Leather".... *drool*
Looks like this is going to be awesome - as awesome as David would have deserved it to be.

Paul Kuhr of NOVEMBERS DOOM, one of the organizers of the forthcoming tribute album dedicated to WOODS OF YPRES frontman David Gold, entitled A Heart Of Gold: Tribute To Woods Of Ypres, has checked in with the following update:

"After speaking with Steph (Ledrew), and going over options at great length, we need to raise the money for the manufacturing of the CDs. To do this, we are going to ask for people to pre-oder by using PayPal. There are two options for you. A donation of $10 will get you a download link in the near future, and for $20 you will get a download link as well as the physical double CD when available. We need to raise $3000 dollars total, and we want to see how quickly it looks like we will reach this goal before releasing the download link."

"This is going to take a bit of faith, that you won't get ripped off, but I assure you, this is going to happen. Stephanie and I are hard at work to make sure. I will keep everyone updated here as to how close we are to reaching that goal. The prices are $10 and $20, but if you want to see this happen faster, by all means, donate more, what ever you can. Every dollar will get this done faster.

Pre-Order Donations - PayPal
$10 - download only
$20 - download and physical double CD

Send donations as a PayPal Gift to pkuhr@comcast.net. In the note section, include your email address for the download link and your physical address for the CD to be mailed. This is important, as the "gift" feature doesn't send that information."

The confirmed tracklist is as follows:

Disc 1
'Thrill Of The Struggle' - CATUVOLCUS
'Adora Vivos' - Raphael from MUSK OX
'Lightning And Snow' - EARTHEN
'Falling Apart' - CANOPY
'A Meeting Place And Time' - PANZERFAUST
'Finality' - KUHRZARTH
'The Sun Was In My Eyes' - ANEMIC
'Retrosleep In The Morning Calm' - ALBIREON
'Suicide Cargoload' (live) - GYPSY CHIEF GOLIATH
'Career Suicide' - RELIQUIS

Disc 2
'Wet Leather' - NOVEMBERS DOOM
'Crossing The 45th Parallel' - ECLIPSE ETERNAL
'Allure Of The Earth' - AMARANTH
'The Shams Of Optimisim' - PAGAN RITUAL
'Silver' - Joel Violette and Rae Amitay of WOODS OF YPRES / THRAWSUNBLAT
'The Sea Of Immeasureable Loss' - BEGOTTEN
'Shedding The Deadwood' - EMPYREAN PLAGUE
'Trillium: The 3rd Of Three Winters' - Justin Bender of INTO ETERNITY
'The Looming Of Dust In The Dark' - THE GOV AND CARVER

http://www.bravewords.com/news/197803

Heart of Gold: A Tribute to Woods of Ypres is now available for 10$ as digital download :kickass:

Link to Heart of Gold: A Tribute to Woods of Ypres: http://davidgoldtribute.bandcamp.com/

Next up, the Woods of Ypres/David Gold tribute album "Heart of Gold: A Tribute to Woods of Ypres" is now officially on sale to the public! Following online pre-orders and a lengthy development process, the 19-track album can be downloaded in mp3 format for just $10 at this location, so pick it up A.S.A.P. to hear all of these great tributes to the band & David's memory! Each track can be streamed there before buying as well, but the full download version also features the full liner notes, which I have heard good things about! Details on public sales of CD copies have yet to be announced beyond the pre-orders, but it will be a 2 disc set due to the length of the songs and amount of featured artists. Even though there's no local artists on this compilation, there's a bunch of emotional and devoted covers that pay tribute to Woods of Ypres in their own ways here, and all were penned by David Gold, so I will confirm that this will be a CD review on the SMS this summer!

I have "Heart of Gold" pencilled in for July, as I have Haggith's new album "Deuce" planned for June, and I'll tentatively bump our review of Mike Haggith's "The Present Din" to August to spread our reviews of his projects' new CDs. I can't wait to hear the Woods tribute album in full, so stay tuned for updates on it and the public CD release when I hear it, and buy "Heart of Gold" today!!

http://saultmetalscene.blogspot.com/