A late night thought.

Captain Beard

No longer active
Sep 6, 2001
Is it me, or does the solo just kick you in the balls halfway through "Tomorrow turned into Yesterday?"

I had to gather my sanity after a moment of total shock, not bad Jeff. :)

Reactions: mReEtTaIlRsEkD
Another thought: I used to think Jeff was damn good, but not one of the absolute best, but he has proven me very, very wrong with this latest record. He has risen to the top two ranks of my guitarist list, surpassed only by Michael Amott, but they're uncannily close together.

Yeah that is an awesome solo because it completely compliments the song and has some awesome melody. I think that Jeff could have put more effort in to some of the solo writing on EOR instead of learning the scales, jacking up on speed then inducing an epileptic fit. That's what I lvoed about his soloing on Dead Heart, it was fast and technical but totally fitting for the song (ala River Dragon and Engines of Hate). I dunno, he does some awesome shredding on the newie but it mostly never really surpasses just that, shredding.

Also some of the bits in the Ambivalent solo sound fucken horrendous (I know he improvised hte whole thing but still...)

Or perhaps I'm just picky and overcritical.

PiNkMaGGiT said:
Yeah that is an awesome solo because it completely compliments the song and has some awesome melody. I think that Jeff could have put more effort in to some of the solo writing on EOR instead of learning the scales, jacking up on speed then inducing an epileptic fit.
:tickled: Imagining watching this on stage :tickled:

I dunno, he does some awesome shredding on the newie but it mostly never really surpasses just that, shredding.
I enjoy the solos on I, Voyager, Tomorrow... and Never Purify. I agree, though, that some don't have the soul that we're used to, but, that's OK...

Or perhaps I'm just picky and overcritical.
Ah, well...as long as you picky your guitar and not your nose, it's A OK.

Yeah Never Purify is a good example of where the shredding really fits. Has anybody listened closely to the last part of Noumenon? Jeff is going absolutely apeshit in the background. I wish you could hear it better because from what I can tell this is his fastest playing on the album.

We guitarists are such a hard to please bunch.