a philosophical query?

boring?

• fuck yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • fuck no

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • what the greg have you been recording?

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
if a band used five part guitar harmonies are different parts of various songs, would it get boring even if said melodies are different and the harmonies are not strictly diatonic copycats but instead contrapuntal?

sounds good to me. sounds like the version of "air on a g string" that the fucking champs did, and that was so great (but i guess this is more rock-structured, right?)

how long would it last, because what is interesting for five to eight minutes can be mind numbing for 10 to 15 or more (remember Fork in the Eye band from Asheville concert, yeah I know some people liked them)

are you saying you have a few different songs, and each one features 5-part guitar harmony?

I personally wouldn't do it - I think the ear needs variety and can get fatigued.

i technically haven't decided which ones i am going to keep or reduce or whatever but i have all these harmony parts and for now they sound essential to me in making the song sound complete. they are not super long and there is only really one per song at this point.

maybe they could be played by other instruments but i love the sound of each part. i guess i was trying to go for a brian may type thing.

I say yes. Just as long as the production is clear enough and the five different counterpoints aren't lost in a sea of distortion. I wrote a song with four single-note (no chords played) guitars (two panned hard left and right, and another two 50/50) twirling around and mutating into chord voicings or played counterpointed leads, but I played them without distortion. My inspiration was King Crimson's "Discipline" album (indiscipline in particular) although I didn't overdo the polyrhythms b/c I can't play that good. If you intend to go on with this, I do suggest you listen to this album, and also "The ConstrucKtion of Light" from the same titled album to see how busy even just two guitar and one bass voicing can get.