A Pink Moon

mot-

Look behind you!
Jan 11, 2004
NRW, Germany
I read in an interview that the new Opeth album might be influenced by Nick Drake's work, becaue Mikael seems to be a big fan of him. I read some reviews and decided to buy his album "Pink Moon".
And wow.. ive rarely heard anything so purely emotional. Its just he and his acoustic guitar, no effects, just bare emotion. His guitar work is amazing, his melodies and lyrics are of extreme beauty. I can only recommend this album to anyone who likes Opeth's mellower stuff.

Drake has a quite complex style of playing the acoustic guitar, he uses mostly open tunings, quite unorthodox picking patterns.

"But as much as I love metal, I tend to listen to all kinds of music. The Beatles’ White Album is a favorite and Nick Drake’s entire catalog has had a tremendous impact on my acoustic music because it’s so evocative and melancholy."

That's not the interview in which he talks about the new album, but it shows that Drake was one of his influences.

I heard that there's a posthumous work coming out soon (to commemorate the 30th anniversary since his death); some time near Novermber I would imagine.

Should be good, I heard it's going to include 'Time of No Reply' and some other rare stuff.

:cool:

may he rest in peace, nick drake...amazing artist.

bryter later is the album where he actually plays with a full band...excellent. but pink moon is still my fave.

i remember mikael saying patterns inn the ivy 2 and still day beneath the sun were influenced by drake.

You might just go out and buy the all, I´d recommend the Fruit Tree box set. All albums + Time of no reply compilation.

Yeah, nick drake is just awesome.