A question about recording

sallieritus

Nov 3, 2007
When most of you record, do you get it all right on the first take or do you record in a more fragmented manner? Say you are recording a guitar track. Do most of you record that track in one take or record a section and stop, record another section and stop, etc. Or perhaps you record one take and punch in and punch out sections with mistakes? Any tips would be great.

it all depends, a mixture of everything, sometimes ill nail a full guitar or drum track. other times ill do wither the chorus bit and verse bits separately, then bounce down to a master track later for editing and mixing purposes, it all depends on the people you working with and the way youve all agreed to work, or are going to work

i'll usually attempt it all in one take...then if(well...more like when) i fuck up, i'll punch in and fix what needs fixing.

I'll usually try and break it into segments (intro, verse, chorus, bridge, ect...) because it's easier for me to work that way and get the best take. Plus, a lot of times you can make the individual parts better by taping some strings down that aren't used in a part, telling them to play it all downstroke for more emphasis ect...obviously this dosen't work with all bands, like for example a jam band/jazz band but for metal/rock/pop, it works the best for me.

Especially if you're trying to quad track your guitars, even for a song that's only mediocre as far as level of difficulty goes, you would have to be ridiculously consistent to get it sounding perfect with only four takes. I find it easier to break it up into sections, not just for the tightness in playing, but for tuning issues. Good luck trying to get it all in tune if you play a chorus, then the rest of the song, then the chorus, then the rest of the song, then the chorus, then the rest of the song, then the chorus, and then the rest of the song...

I usually just track once per side for the harder stuff and with that it just feels like cheating to do anything but one take until a break of some kind.

Jeff

Especially if you're trying to quad track your guitars, even for a song that's only mediocre as far as level of difficulty goes, you would have to be ridiculously consistent to get it sounding perfect with only four takes. I find it easier to break it up into sections, not just for the tightness in playing, but for tuning issues. Good luck trying to get it all in tune if you play a chorus, then the rest of the song, then the chorus, then the rest of the song, then the chorus, then the rest of the song, then the chorus, and then the rest of the song...

Same here. Although if a take is going really well, I can't help myself sometimes. :D