A Sign of the Apocolypse: King Diamond Nominated for a Grammy!

ALowerDeep

Sep 22, 2006
www.alowerdeep.com
KING DIAMOND has received a Grammy nomination in the "Best Metal Performance" category for the track "Never Ending Hill" off the group's latest album, "Give me Your Soul… Please".

Commented the band's leader and namesake: "It's a great honor to be picked as a nominee; it's totally shocking and unexpected. We do feel as a band that this is the best album we have ever done. Hopefully there will be many more albums and tours to come. We feel that we have at least another good 10 years in us! This nomination is a testament to our legion of loyal fans and our thanks go out to them for the endless support and all of the kind words."

Metal Blade owner and CEO Brian Slagel commented: "All of us at Metal Blade Records are extremely honored to have two of our artists, AS I LAY DYING and KING DIAMOND, nominated for Grammy Awards. They both truly deserve this honor for the great artistry they have accomplished on these tremendous releases."

KING DIAMOND's latest album, "Give Me Your Soul ... Please" entered the Swedish national chart at position No. 28. The CD also landed at No. 58 on the Danish chart (the second highest new entry on the chart behind VELVET REVOLVER).

"Give Me Your Soul ... Please" sold 4,500 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 174 on The Billboard 200 chart.

Awesome. I love how the Grammy's continues to demonstrate their total lack of knowledge about all things music. To my mind, winning a Grammy is the equivalent of winning a Darwin Award. All you need to know about the Grammys, is Milli Vanilli has won one.

Zod

I just hope the King gets to perform live on the show, wouldn't that make the the old blue hairs run screaming from the venue. Of course The Golden Compass protestors would be in a quandry on which was more worthy of boycotting, ha.

The metal award never gets presented live. You see towards the end of the show the winner listed in text on the bottom of your tv screen for categories not presented live.

Listed under the general category of Rock:
Grammy.com said:
Category 18

Best Metal Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Nothing Left
As I Lay Dying
Track from: An Ocean Between Us
[Metal Blade Records]

* Never Ending Hill
King Diamond
Track from: Give Me Your Soul...Please
[Metal Blade Records]

* Aesthetics Of Hate
Machine Head
Track from: The Blackening
[Roadrunner Records]

* Redemption
Shadows Fall
Track from: Threads Of Life
[Atlantic]

* Final Six
Slayer
Track from: Christ Illusion
[American Recording/Columbia]
I suppose there could be some worse choices out there. (Although I could probably think of 50 better ones.) At least I can agree with King Diamond, Slayer, Shadows Fall and Machine Head making the list, even if I don't adore everyone of them or all of there material.

There was also a few interesting nominations listed here:
Grammy.com said:
Category 19

Best Rock Instrumental Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, without vocals. Includes Rock, Hard Rock and Metal. Singles or Tracks only.)

* The Ecstasy Of Gold
Metallica
Track from: We All Love Ennio Morricone
[Sony Classical]

* Malignant Narcissism
Rush
Track from: Snakes & Arrows
[Anthem/Atlantic]

* Always With Me, Always With You
Joe Satriani
Track from: Satriani Live!
[Epic/Red Ink]

* Once Upon A Time In The West
Bruce Springsteen
Track from: We All Love Ennio Morricone
[Sony Classical]

* The Attitude Song
Steve Vai
Track from: Sound Theories Vol. I & II
[Epic/Red Ink]
... and here:
Grammy.com said:
Category 17

Best Hard Rock Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Sweet Sacrifice
Evanescence
Track from: The Open Door
[Wind-up Records, LLC]

* The Pretender
Foo Fighters
[Roswell/RCA Records]

* I Don't Wanna Stop
Ozzy Osbourne
Track from: Black Rain
[Epic]

* Sick, Sick, Sick
Queens Of The Stone Age
Track from: Era Vulgaris
[Interscope Recods]

* The Pot
Tool
Track from: 10,000 Days
[Volcano]
I have to laugh at the fact that Ozzy got put into the "Hard Rock" category as opposed to metal. Actually, I'm not sure if I should laugh, applaud, or do both. :lol:

Awesome. At least King Diamond is metal, unlike Jethro Tull

Agreed. While I do like Jethro Tull the fact that some lame brain decided they were metal was unfathomable. But then, as Zod pointed out, just how significant is a Grammy in the grand scheme of things? As he pointed out, Milli Vanilli won one. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Dog Police (if you have to ask then never mind.....it's too painful) weren't a Grammy committee favorite back in the day as well. :zombie:

They need to show the Metal portion on air. Either way, I am glad that King Diamond is nominated and I think I saw Redemption on the list.

They need to show the Metal portion on air.
Why? So we can watch some Emo band go collect a Grammy? Hell, if any band I liked actually won and accepted a Grammy, I'd instantly lose respect for them.

The Grammys are nothing more than an industry circle jerk, where awards are given to the biggest corporate whores. Artistic merit has absolutely nothing to do with these awards.

Zod