A staggering amount of [hog] waste.

FuSoYa

Lunarian
Nov 9, 2001
Brooklyn
lifesci.ucsb.edu
"Imagine a city as big as New York suddenly grafted onto North Carolina's Coastal Plain. Double it. Now imagine that this city has no sewage treatment plants. All the wastes from 15 million people are simply flushed into open pits and sprayed onto fields. Turn those humans into hogs, and you don't have to imagine at all. It's already here."

-- from the Puliter Prize-winning series "Boss Hog: North Carolina's Pork Revolution," Raleigh, North Carolina, News and Observer (Feb. 19, 1995)

http://www.earthweshare.org/n/q_1998f_staggering_waste.htm

lagoon.jpg

I was actually doing a search for "horrible methods of killing fish because I am the Hitler of fish" and this hog waste thing came up.

That's right.

Cap Mel,

1964 while shark fishing in the ship channel just east of Egmont Key I came within inches of Old Hitler. He does, or did, exist, I can assure you.

We used to shark fish a lot in that area. Usually between the 90' deep hole at the north east corner of Egmont and a small rock pile just off the south west tip of Mullet Key, er that's Fort Desoto Park now. Blacktips with their jumping action on the rocks and Sand and Lemon sharks with a rare hammerhead in the deeper water. An occasional Tiger and Mako were caught a little further out in the Gulf but not often. They could be very large. Back then it was also common to spot enormous Jew Fish while diving and spear fishing around the pilings of the Skyway Bridge. Something I rarely did again after facing Old Hitler face to face that summer day in 1964.

We were in my father's 18 foot Osgood (built in Gulfport at the Osgood works near the Gulfport marina) with a 40 - 50 pound Sting Ray hanging out the back on a large hook which we used as chum and bait. We had gigged the ray on the flats near Tarpon key on the way out that morning. We had several lines out and had had a few small sharks on (always released) earlier. All of a sudden a school of sharks came up, finned the surface for 30 seconds or so and dove. Most were 5 - 8 feet long, not sure what type.

Then it happened. Old Hitler paid us a visit.

2000062405740667.gif

Old Hitler roams.

Originally posted by FuSoYa
"Imagine a city as big as New York suddenly grafted onto North Carolina's Coastal Plain. Double it. Now imagine that this city has no sewage treatment plants. All the wastes from 15 million people are simply flushed into open pits and sprayed onto fields. Turn those humans into hogs, and you don't have to imagine at all. It's already here."

-- from the Puliter Prize-winning series "Boss Hog: North Carolina's Pork Revolution," Raleigh, North Carolina, News and Observer (Feb. 19, 1995)

http://www.earthweshare.org/n/q_1998f_staggering_waste.htm

This is true, but South Carolina reeks of pig farms even worse.