Abigail Williams - In the Shadow of a Thousand Suns: A Second Opinion

Thorns On My Grave

I Am Vengeance
Mar 20, 2006
Alameda, California
***I've never posted here before, so I am unsure of whether you make a whole new thread per review or add to currently existing threads. Mods, move at will!***

Abigail Williams - In the Shadow of a Thousand Suns

It’s been an interesting road for New York based black metal outfit Abigail Williams. Originally formed after the split of melodic death metal band Vehemence, the band quickly made an impression through the enormously high traffic on their myspace, soon catching the attention of the revered Candlelight Records. The band released the excellent E.P. Legend, toured extensively, gathered momentum… and subsequently disbanded. After an brief silence, the group has reformed with a new lineup, and suffice to say, my excitement for this release has been building ever since.

When all is said and done, the most prominent response I can muster after my fifth spin of this hotly anticipated release is… What happened? The band’s earlier work was a largely black metal affair, with hints of modern metal core and exquisitely catchy hooks. Gone from this disc are the memorable leads, intricate drum work and even melodic bass lines in favor of a more “raw” black metal approach. By raw I mean nine tracks of generic, heartless swill. I can’t begin to imagine what rationale the band had for moving in this direction, and each track passes by with little or no reason to revisit.

It begins with a typical intro song, haunting and forgettable, and from the first full length track, it is drastically apparent the group has gone in a different direction. The structures of each track leave virtually no room for contemplation, and the endless blasting wall of percussion, which is disgustingly loud in the overall mix, is distracting and unimaginative. The vocals are consistent with the style, yet the rare clean passage leaves so much to be desired after the quality, ethereal delivery on their previous effort. The keyboards are indistinguishable from every other band in this field, but such is to be expected, and it does little to alter the course of this record. Each member plays their instrument competently, but there is a definitive sense of inexperience in the way the songs are contructed. It is a true disappointment to see a group with such potential squander their time, and equally importantly, their fan’s time, on this highly derivative release.

The bottom line: If you are desperate for a fix of mediocre but well played black metal, check it out. If you are looking for an engrossing black metal experience, look elsewhere.

Songs to watch out for: The World Beyond, Floods

i guess you have a different album than i do. or as is more likely, you just wanted them to sound exactly the same as 3 years ago. either way, this album rules.

as for the keyboards, they are far and away the best of any current symphonic bm band, eclipsing even Dimmu Borgir. Ellylon is extremely talented and does all her own orchestration (in which she has a college degree) and is a trained concert pianist... so NOT true of most other symphonic bm bands.

You can't argue preference, but I really feel like the album strips the band of all of their identity. They had a sound before, whereas on this record (which I have listened to with no distractions at least another six or seven times since the revie,) they draw little from their earlier sound and replace it with what I consider to be very generic, done before black metal affair.

I am ALL for evolution of music, and if this is theirs, power to them and I hope they do well, but I for one am an alienated fan, as I really feel that they could have done so much more. The shift in direction is just kind of surprising.

And degree or no degree holds no relevance to a person's creative abilities. The keys on this album are just plain bland from my perspective.

Yeah, I completely agree so far, but then again, I haven't fully listened to the new album. But yeah, the old stuff had an identity to say the least, whereas the new stuff is just lacking something...