About the new cd....

Man Made Mike

man made, not god.
Jan 27, 2002
New York
ive known about the whole two cd thing for a while, one heavy and one mellow, and ive been really excited and didnt think anything else of it.......but now im thinking, the thing i love most about opeth is how they combine heavy and mellow into one...how they go from an extremely hard death metal thing into a really slow acoustic break....and i ask myself and all of you....wont having one heavy and one mellow cd take this away? it would be like taking out all of the slow mellow parts to every song and making that an entirely different cd....im scared, hold me....(and answer me, too)

haha dont worry, im sure this was asked here before, but the two new cds wont be completely split between mellow and heavy. one of the cds will be experimental stuff, more on the mellow side of course. the other cd will be a traditional opeth cd which has both mellow and heavy sections interlaced with eachother.

Yes, I agree. I hope that the "heavy" album is actually more like a "regular" Opeth album. My favorite thing about opeth is the hard to soft transitions in songs like Godhead's Lament and Black Rose Immortal.

I imagine the "heavy" album is going to be regular Opeth and the mellow album will be just expiremental.

the mellow album is going to take the mellow aspect of opeth and experiment with it. the heavy album is going to take the metal part of opeth and experiment with that (while still maintaining the mellow parts). just think of the heavy album as opeth...only heavier.

OPETH Set Release Date For Fothcoming CD - July 30, 2002

OPETH's as-yet-untitled new album, which is currently being recorded at Nacksving/Maestro Music studios with producer Fredrik Nordström, is scheduled for a worldwide release on October 28th, with an extensive tour to follow.

As previously reported, OPETH are planning on issuing two separate CDs several months apart—one heavy, one mellow. The heavy CD will be typical OPETH with all its ingredients, including mellow parts, while the "mellow" CD will have more laid-back material.

OPETH are tentatively planning on issuing the second of the new CDs on March 15th, 2003.

In other news, the limited-edition, deluxe two-CD version of OPETH's Blackwater Park CD (containing additional music and video footage not available on the original version) is now officially out of print following its release last week

i am really happy for a mellow cd so i can have something to listen to with normal people. like when i'm driving in the car with my mum, or chilling with freinds...causei know they casn't stand the growls, but i know if there were no growls, they would really appreciate the music

its also good to have a cd like that if you want to really relax and sleep
i remember i got still life as my first cd, at a time when i was often tired, and i'dlisten to it, and be almost asleep at some mellow part, and then something would come along and scare the shit out of me! hehe

haha tenacious D, Accolade :) ..... anyways, the reason this new 2 cd experimental thing scares me is because with any other opeth cd, it seems like the songs were written to justify the feeling of the song, if you know what i mean...and to me, it seems like if they go into the studio with the intent to make a "hard album" then most of the feeling would be gone, because they arent making the pace of the song match with the feeling of the song....but i really cant be worried...for some reason, when bands like In Flames makes a new cd i think to myself "oh god i hope this doesnt suck, but i have a feeling it will"...with opeth i really can never think they would dissapoint me, so everythings ok with me. :)

I'm just wondering how they're going to make 10 minute songs that dont go from heavy to light... (on the mellow CD). Does anyone find this a bit boring? I hope they can do something with it though....

Originally posted by EyeAm
I'm just wondering how they're going to make 10 minute songs that dont go from heavy to light... (on the mellow CD). Does anyone find this a bit boring? I hope they can do something with it though....

Hmmm, maybe they wont have 6 ten minute songs on the mellow album but 12 five minute songs :cool: but To bid you farewell is mellow, it´s a 10 minute song and it sure as hell is interesting!

It doesn't mean it'll be all acoustic. I guess it could be. But more likely, it will have electrics mixed in like To Bid You Farewell and Face of Melinda. And crazy unforseeable things.