Ace Frehley in San Francisco

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Just got back from the Ace Frehley show, and thought I'd post here before going to bed.

It was great. It had the same vibe as the Paul solo tour, in that it was such an intimate setting, and just somehow more fun than a KISS show could ever be these days. Ace actually looks pretty good...with his gray-ish goatee and sunglasses, he really looked the part of the rock legend - more so than I expected. He really is such an odd guy. He stumbles around, and consistently forgets to get his mouth back to the microphone in time (which he's always done), but some how manages to keep it all together and be, well, awesome. He seemed in a great mood to me. The average age of his band members is roughly 12, but that was fine. It's more about him. They all wore some black jumpsuit thing with a lightning bolt down the leg; a nice touch. Not Ace though, he was in black leather. It was really loud, my ears are still ringing. A very intimate setting, which made it seem really special. He sounded great in voice and playing. He did the whole smoking guitar thing during his solo, and it actually caught on fire, which was kinda funny. Flames shot out of the pickup.

Of all the members of KISS Ace is the most rock and roll I think. If not for KISS I think he would have been in a band like the MC5, or some other straight forward thing like that. He's the least likely to write a sappy love song, and the lyrics to songs like Cold Gin are really pretty damned good in a street/literate sort of way.

The setlist was pretty perfect.
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Rip It Out
Hard Times (which led into)
I Want You (a somewhat abbreviated version)
Parasite
Snowblind
Rock Soldiers
Shot Full of Rock
Into the Void
Breakout
Strangeways
Medley(Consisting of :)
  • Torpedo Girl
  • Speedin’ Back to My Baby
  • 5 Card Stud
  • Trouble Walkin’
Stranger in a Strange Land
New York Groove (with lighted guitar)
Shock Me
Ace Solo (with ‘ole smoky)
Rocket Ride
[/FONT] [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Encores:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    [*]Duece
    [*]2000 Man
    [*]Love Gun
    [*]Cold Gin (which led into the live ending of Black Diamond)
    [/FONT]
Basically it was even in my mind with the Paul Stanley tour, which was awesome.

The opening band was surprisingly good. Kind of a mix between Cheap Trick, Y&T, and Humble Pie. The singer had a good range, and the songs were really quite good. They were called "The Trews"

Great show!

I'm not sure if that was his name; you'd probably know that one better than me. Both the bassist and he drummer had Nikki Sixx hair though.

Glad to hear it was a good show. From what I've read he's been on good form on the whole tour.

Long live Ace :kickass:

Sounded ike a good fucking time!!!!
Hey isn't Anthony Esposito his bass player?
That's the guy from the first incarnation of The Lynch Mob...
Ace wasn't hammered? What a set!

It was Esposito on bass, got to see it last night here in San Diego's House of Blues besides Ace's wireless trouble awesome show, the Black Diamond tease was good!!!