Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics

Xorv

Drug the Priest
May 30, 2005
the bowels of lochness
http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=1&id=3075

Pure evil returned in 1996 in the form of ACID BATH'S "Paegan Terrorism Tactics". It started with the excellent cover-work portraying Dr. Kevorkian being controlled by 3 puppeteer rabbits and continued right into the intense, down-tuned Louisiana swamp sound, devilish lyrics and demonic song subjects. ACID BATH showed their horns with their debut "When The Kite String Pops" but unlike most bands they managed to top it with their sophomore release.

Dax Riggs is the man. I think I said that before and I know I will say it again. This man's aura is blacker than black. I have no clue to how a man can have such a wicked voice and not only that…have the ability to put together the darkest lyrics to match. Add the ability to produce a demonic background growl that probably scares even Dax himself and then on top of that, throw in some nice echo and he sounds absolutely amazing. Hearing his voice once is worth the price of the CD.

Again, as on their debut, Mike Sanchez and Sammy Duet dangle all over the frets in a way only they can. These two underrated axe slingers are by no means the best as far as shredding goes but man do they have the vibe. Stoner Rock fans know what I mean don't you. It's all groove, baby that lifts songs of this style up for admiration. I dare you to crank this opus in the dark and then tell me you didn't get goose-bumps.

'You scream, I scream, everybody scream for morphine'…how's that line…pretty fuckin' cool I think. It comes from the wicked opener "Paegan Love Song" and is a great example of the demons in Dax's head. All eleven tracks continue in the same sinister fashion, some slow, some faster but all massive in their sound and quality. I got some other highlights…"Bleed Me An Ocean" where Dax's other voice helps darken the planet, "Graveflower" with its slow, melodic and dark tone is a bit 'like murder' to me, "Diab Soule" has riffs that Iommi wished he had thought of, "Locust Spawning" is near Death Metal in both its riffs and vocals, "Old Skin" has an incredible spoken word intro then continues with acoustic guitar from hell that has to be heard to be felt…yeah I could definitely do the whole CD justice in this way but you know what, I won't, you can just figure out the rest for yourself after you find a copy. I know a certain Paegan Terrorist whose favourite song is "Venus Blue". That's the power of ACID BATH, and to think this CD is almost eight years old now. Wow.

Imagine Satan and four of his closest, most evil disciples formed a band. Now imagine Satan and his buddies having access to the best weed there is. Dax is Satan, the followers are the rest of his band and they called themselves ACID BATH. They are a band no more but we all know evil shall never die. Find this CD now and become a Paegan Terrorist like me…you will be better person for it! (Online November 6, 2003) 10\10

I've got when the kite string pops, and although I like it alot I've never bothered to check out there other albums, I think I'll have to go and check this album out post haste!

Great album but still enjoy 'When The Kite String Pops' more. That album is one of the few perfect cds.