Acoustic?!

the_joy_of_grief

weak light
Jan 23, 2002
Paramaribo
www.escapetheday.tk
I think Katatonia should put out an EP (or even a full album) with acoustic (or semi-acoustic) material. I value them as a rock/metal band but I also feel that they have a great potential to compose great mellow songs...which they hardly use. Take "Day", "A Darkness Coming" or "Oh how I enjoy the light" (well, the latter is by Will Oldham but I like the way it's performed by Katatonia, with half-distorted guitars and all that). Katatonia really have some talent in this respect. And when I look at Jonas' playlist, I find a lot of singer-songwriter music. I think he'd do a terrific job.

Anyway, just curious what you'd say.

I wouldn't mind, but i'd prefer it to be an EP (not that i would have any say in what they do) simply because i can't stand listening to whole acoustic albums. I don't know why because i do like acoustic songs. If Katatonia were to do it i'm sure i could stomach it and then some though because they are and have been for a while my absolute favorite band. There is much more to them and the music that transcends just and average band. They are unique, special and well appreciated by me. I wish them the best of luck in all they do since they've already done so much for me. Damn... look at me rambling on..

They have indeed a lot of potential and i would be glad as hell if they'd put out an acoustic ep or album someday. I think you know the band October Tide,they have a song on their album "Grey dawn" called "Dear Sun". I just love this song,the whole song is acoustic and really really good imo,if you don't know it check it out,download it at Audiogalaxy!
Anders is just a damn good songwriter and guitar player!

i dont know about a *whole* album... that might be a bit much... or even an ep, necessarily... i dont know that its a good thing to decide 'we're doing an acoustic thing now,' id rather just that if they have a song or two (or more) that they feel would be improved by being acoustic, go for it... but i dont know that setting out to be acoustic is the best way to go... just do it if the song warrants it, not to fit an 'acoustic' theme

they have a great potential to compose great mellow songs

Indeed. Just two things I'd like to add:

1) Please...no more EPs, I want a new album! :)

2) Don't ignore the boon of an electric guitar ;)

Yeah, I second the person who commented on 'Dear Sun' by October Tide. That song is so amazing. It's really understated... You hear the entire album and it's good, then 'Dear Sun' comes on at the end and after that I usually drift off to sleep....

No more Katatonia eps at all!!! I haven't got any of them except for the Brave Murder Day/For Funerals to Come release. They're always too hard to get....

Anyway, they're about due for a new album hopefully!

well the past few albums have had EP's released so we will probably have another before the new album is released, all i can say is i hope that record shops here in England will stock them, i mean i havent even seen the LFDGD with bonus Tonights music single anywhere, and i only saw Teargas in a small record shop, which i know happens to import a lot of stuff (as theres loads of import stickers on the cds) anyway i look forward to some new stuff.

theres only one thing though...if an EP's released that might delay the full length...probably not but still.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
i mean i havent even seen the LFDGD with bonus Tonights music single anywhere

My copy of LFDGD came with a Peaceville sampler, which has one of the bonus tracks from the re-release of TD, so I've managed to get one of the new old tracks. But that's it :(

i picked up teargas and tonight's music thru the end records... really do definitely agree tho, that limited EP's suck. sure, you create a big demand and a collector's item type thing, but... wouldnt you rather just a lot of people could get their hands on something they want? i mean, i'd *LOVE* a copy of saw you drown... but im not going to pay a hundred bucks on ebay for 2 songs which i've downloaded anyway, and 2 songs i have on another album. if i could get it for sub-10 bucks, sure, i'd buy it... as for katatonic's suggestion, mellow doesnt necessarily mean acoustic... for opeth at least, i take mellow to mean mikael doesnt growl (which is, imho, a good thing)... for katatonia, id say 'mellow' means something closer to 'day' or 'a darkness coming' than to 'teargas' or something... and from katatonia at least, i like getting a mix of the two styles... as for the concept of ep's in general, i kinda like em... make me feel hardcore ;) but only if i can get em, so... put out an ep with a few interesting things on it, make sure i can get it, and then put out a new, interesting album... and i'm happy :)

Maybe they could come with a third non-limited EP from LFDGD. It would be great to have a 'The Future of the Speech' EP with a 'Day' and a 'Teargas' acoustic versions, live songs and a cool gloomy remix of the Deadsite's theme.