advertising goes overboard

oh, here is Tycho(CW)'s paraphrased version of that article -

"Let's say you want to advertise your candy - or "lolly" - on the radio and television. You could pay a set amount of money for access to thirty-second or minute slots Or, and here's an idea, you can make a song by a "band" whose name is the product you're trying to sell, and get it into rotation on stations and have them play it for you. In the case of Starburst, you write a song called "Get Your Juices Going," which exhausts every possible fruit-oriented sexual innuendo over the course of four excruciating minutes. The production of Pop Hits being a largely mechanical enterprise, it will not be difficult to suitably emulate the music of the moment. I don't know what the going rate is for payola, but my hunch tells me it compares favorably with actual ad spots. Customers can then go out and purchase your advertising, and they will, because they're fucking retards. The Starburst issue reveals so much about radio, marketing, and human nature that it casts a shadow over my entire life. It is cold in my heart. "

Radio is a sound salvation
Radio is cleaning up the nation
They say you better listen to the voice of reason
But they don't give you any choice
'cause they think that it's treason.
So you had better do as you are told.
You better listen to the radio.

larrysoffice.jpg

I'm going to relate something that just happened here yesterday - and I don;t think this is malicious on the behalf of any party involved, but it just exemplifies, in a way, why business and advertising is shitty.

So this place is doing a print ad for the History Channel show, "Mail Call".. where viewers write letters to the host of the show, an actor portraying a mean, loud, brash army drill sergeant-- who answers the questions on the show in an entertaining fashion.

Anyway, so they did a photo shoot with this actor, R. Lee Ermey, for the print ad, and the agency had all the consultations with the history channel, did all the roughs, got approved, made the final ad and sent it to the History Channel for production. The whole job took maybe a month, I'm guessing.

So yesterday the History Channel calls and they say that R. Lee Ermey doesn't like the ad and won't sign off for his use in it, because he's trying to change his image. Obviously everyone here is like, well he posed like that in the photo shoot, why didn't he say anything then! etc etc.
Anyway, I think what's going on is that this agency and the history channel are both considering Ermey's participation in the photo shoot as his form of acceptance of the photo and ad, and the ad is going to be produced anyway, despite Ermey's protests. Ermey is 70 something years old.

All I can think about is how maybe Ermey is dying of some terminal disease, and he doesn't want his grandkids to remember him as this loud, foul-mouthed asshole from the TV. So in his last years, he wants to make a good presentation of himself. Or something like that.

But obviously shit like that will never be any part of any decisions regarding whether or not to use the ad. It's just based on time and money.

Hence, I don't like saying I work for an ad agency, in case people immediately have the same associations with the word "advertising" that I do. I always have to give a disclaimer:

"Yeah, but I just do their IT stuff" or "Yeah but this place is different"

Fuck me.

Right, and after Ermey's CLASSIC role in one of the top hundred fifty movies of ALL TIME, he's worried about being remembered for an AD??

Toby, I bet you're the kind of queer who would fuck a guy in the ass and not even have the common decency to give him a reacharound!