Advice about a 5 string bass...

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
I've got major GAS for a 5 string bass at the moment, I'm using 7 string guitar now, so I have to have a 5 string bass!

I've been looking, and I've got to save for a long time because I'm completely broke, but I'm thinking about one of these -

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-jazz-bass-v-5-string-bass-guitar-black-rosewood-neck--38608

OR

http://www.rondomusic.com/web825bk.html

I'm after a grindy bass tone, kind of like Decapitated's Organic Hallucinosis album, or Meshuggah Chaosphere, would one of these bass's give me this kind of tone? I'm not after quality, just a quiet grindy noise to help my guitars haha.

Can never go wrong with a Jazz Bass!!

Althought I have never used the "squire" so I am not sure, but I would think it wouldn't sound HUGELY different. The squire probably just doesnt have that much bottom end as the fender jazz, but hey we roll some of that out anyway for metal :p

I just got an ibanez btb 675 5 string bass, and it is totally fucking gnarly! extended rage is a must for heavy riffing on the low b string. make sure you buy a bass with an extended scale! also, if you are after a grindy meshuggah type bass sound make sure you get a bass with active pickups.

I was looking at a spector bass at the same time as the btb, but the btb seemed like a better choice

here is a tune I just finished mixing (rough mix) I used my btb bass through a sans amp bass driver di with the waves CLA bass plug on and compressed with CLA 2A
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1719400/our father 1.mp3

I got a chance to play the Ibanez BTB775PB fairly recently and HOLY CRAP the neck was just so fucking smooth and awesomely playable, much better than the older BTB basses.
Mahogany body with a Poplar Burl top and rosewood fretboard, pretty much exactly what a man of modern heavy metal bass would be after.
The addition of the 35 inch scale also makes a huge difference in the clarity of the low B string. More attack and articulation

Dude - I was always a big fan of Warwick's and Ibanez basses, but one day I picked up a Fender P-bass, and I was SOLD!. I know it's not usually the first thing people think of when they ask for Metal Bass recommendatoins, but a 5 string Fender P simply KILLS. The only bass on earth that sounded better than a P to my ears was the 5 string Stingray that I use today.

But for an all-around, no-nonsense tone machine, I can't recommend a P bass enough. Blows away the jazz any day IMHO.

Bobby

Only thing I don't like about the P-Basses is that they just seems so lacking in playability compared to the Ibanez or Spector stuff.
Those basses were just designed before there was a need to play really technical and challenging stuff and then suddenly in the 80s, just as super strats became common, suddenly we started getting the super strat equivalent of basses.
The 9.5 inch fretboard radius on the Fender just doesn't let you play as fast as the 20 inch radius on the Ibanez BTB necks or 16 inches on the Spector necks

Only thing I don't like about the P-Basses is that they just seems so lacking in playability compared to the Ibanez or Spector stuff.
Those basses were just designed before there was a need to play really technical and challenging stuff and then suddenly in the 80s, just as super strats became common, suddenly we started getting the super strat equivalent of basses.
The 9.5 inch fretboard radius on the Fender just doesn't let you play as fast as the 20 inch radius on the Ibanez BTB necks or 16 inches on the Spector necks

Fender P-basses are nice for rock music and jazzy shit, but for hardcore and djent, they just don't cut the mustard :lol: and they don't have humbuckers, I want a smooth grind tone and the P-bass just can't do it haha

I'm most tempted by the Ibanez bass at the moment, it looks sooo good haha, but its a lot more then the Jazz Squier bass... i'm not sure yet, but thanks for the suggestions dudes :headbang:

Check out some Spector dude, those things grind like hell. J is great, but you shouldn't underrate the P for it's grindiness, played with a pick a P can sound great.

This is gonna be uncommon, but I have a Strinberg Clb-25 and I love it, I used to play goregrind with it and it delivers totally, and not expensive at all, look into it dude.

the bass on this Ep was recorded with my Strinberg mic'd trhough and Ampeg Svt (this is my old band) http://www.myspace.com/intestinalblasting