Advice on Nocturnal Rites

ashaman7122

Crazy on a ship of fools
Dec 11, 2002
This band has always been outside my radar, and I just recently started checking them out to see if I had been missing something. Thanks to copious amounts of song samples on the CM site, I'm digging this band...I have been missing out indeed.

Does anybody have album recommendations for a new fan? Where to start?

Rock on!

Newest one "The 8th Sin" is my favorite but its a bit more "commercial" sounding. Full song on my madman myspace page linked in my sig.

"New World Messiah" is also a fantastic disc. Hell I love em all!

It's tough to say specifically without knowing more about your musical tastes. So instead of just listing my favorites, I'll say that if you like what you've heard in general, this is a band where you will most certainly be safe with the old strategy of just starting with their latest disc and gradually working backwards from there.

The 8th Sin - 2007
Grand Illusion - 2005
New World Messiah - 2004
Shadowland - 2002
Afterlife - 2000
The Sacred Talisman - 1999
Tales Of Mystery And Imagination - 1997
In A Time Of Blood And Fire - 1995

Their first three cds are all about dragons and time and being a chivalrous bad ass. Some really great happy Power Metal. Tales Of Mystery And Imagination should have blown up instead of Glory To The Brave.

Good advice, all...I noticed that their early stuff was kinda raw-ish Euro happy metal (kinda reminiscent of early Edguy or a poor man's Helloween), but still sounds pretty good.

Going through the samples, you can hear them punching up their sound and their songwriting skills as each album progresses. But hey, power metal has changed a bit since the mid-90s as well, huh?

In regards to musical taste, I don't sub-genre-lize much...I'm a metal fan, plain and simple. It began with Sab and Purple in the beginning...and kept going. I'm into Power & Prog equally, but the so-called Melodic Death Metal is about as extreme as I get. As an example, I did a lot of driving today...over the course of the day, I went from a classic Helloweeny to a Mercenary to a Y&T to Tony Martin Sab to the new U.D.O....go figure. Other than that, my wife makes fun of my unnatural obsession with Melissa Etheridge and all-things-Kiss...but that's another thread altogether...hehe...

I think I'll start with the new one and work back...it also seems that New World Messiah is a fan favorite as well.

Thanks for the help...always heard of these guys...always seemed to get good reviews...just never jumped on the bandwagon...

Rock on!

Their new disc is my favorite of the year so far. I just got about 2 weeks ago or so and I have easily spun it more times than any other disc so far this year. This disc actually has inspired to attempt to sponsor them to come over for some festival ProgPower, Powerfest, Madfest, or BARfest something anything to see them again.

They totally owned when I saw them at Powerfest and cant even imagine what set with these new songs in it would be like.

NOCTURNAL RITES FOR ANYWHERE USA!!!!

I actually like their first singer more than the second singer. But it does seem they have broadened their subject matter with the second singer. My favorites were the 2nd and 3rd album. Their first album was very different from the next 2. A bit death metalish. Then Afterlife was a shock to the system after Sacred. A lot more aggressive.

Aside from the last two, Tales of Mystery and Imagination is by far my favorite of their back catalog, even though some of it sounds like American folk music. ;)

The first three albums have their previous singer. They're great discs, but that guy's voice was worse than listening to Paris Hilton being sandblasted with hot peppers in a courtroom.

Shadowland is what reintroduced me to the band after I wrote them off as being annoying, with tons of great songs. And The Grand Illusion is as perfect a power metal album as you'll find these days. Front to back, excellent album.