After Forever's US Debut!

Meyvn_Drew

Meyvn Guitar Man
Sep 2, 2005
Austin, TX
www.meyvn.net
So I saw After Forever's US debut show last saturday night during South By SouthWest here in lovely Austin, TX. Short summary: After Forever KICKED ASS, but what on earth were they thinking flying all the way over here for SXSW?

SXSW (the "music festival" part of it) is basically a gigantic circus of music for 4-5 days. They take about 30-40 venues on 6th street in the heart of downtown and have bands play all day long. The venues are basically bars and small clubs, some of which don't usually have live music. They are all SMALL. They have maybe 2 or 3 mid to large size venues where they put the biggest acts.

Anyways, After Forever played in a small little bar - the room they played in couldn't have been more than 25 feet across. They all barely fit on stage, and thats with scaled-down amps and drums! They did bring their own soundguy, which was good because the previous band played their entire set with ear-splitting feedback. They sounded FANTASTIC (especially in such a shitty little bar) and performed like there were thousands of people there. Unfortunately, there were only about 75 at the most, and towards the end there were maybe 30 or 40 people left. The show was FREE! Meanwhile, "Bowling For Soup" and "Presidents of the USA" were performing in the same bar upstairs and there were friggin lines around the block to get into that. So sad....

You guys are in for a treat at ProgPower this year, After Forever's going to blow you away! I wish I could be there to see them play at a REAL festival!

I have fond memories of the song Peaches and middle school. Plus, wasn't PotUSA broken up for some time? I haven't seen Bowling for Soup since they were the 2nd band playing at a 5 bands for $5 show in Hartford where Sugarcult headlined. It was just shortly before they had a hit song with "Girl All The Bad Guys Want." I like both bands. Though I certainly would have chosen AF over both.

So was the band heavy, similiar to how Epica was last year?

Absolutely - I liked them a lot better than Epica. I think Floor is a much stronger singer than Simone, much better stage presence, and the music was more interesting as well. They played some of their older stuff, which has a lot of death metal influences (one of the guitar players does some death vox).

Absolutely - I liked them a lot better than Epica. I think Floor is a much stronger singer than Simone, much better stage presence, and the music was more interesting as well. .

:worship:
Couldn't agree more :p
And right now i'm so jealous of you ;( :cry:

:p

I've mentioned this before in an AF vs Epica discussion. My major issue with Epica is the almost total reliance on the orchestra. If you remove that, it's practically the same guitar riffs every song. I feel the musicianship in After Forever takes presidence over the tracking. If they didn't have the orchestra backtracks, you really wouldn't feel like you were missing most of the song.

What club did they play?
It's called Maggie Mae's. Looks really small in this pic, eh?

There are some pics taken at SXSW in their website photogallery and some more here (2+ pages, images uploaded Mar 17 - 18)

I think that so many European performers attend to SXSW because many countries provide funds for culture exchange or something alike, and one way to use it is to take part in a big media fair like SXSW. I know the six bands from Finland attending this year didn't fly there completely on their own dough... :rolleyes:

I've mentioned this before in an AF vs Epica discussion. My major issue with Epica is the almost total reliance on the orchestra. If you remove that, it's practically the same guitar riffs every song. I feel the musicianship in After Forever takes presidence over the tracking. If they didn't have the orchestra backtracks, you really wouldn't feel like you were missing most of the song.

Even though I'm an Epica fan and loved their ProgPower performance, I have to agree with you now that I've just recently purchased "Invisible Circles" and have had time to let it sink in.

I don't necessarily think After Forever left with a bad impression. SXSW is fucking HUGE. There's so many business people attending that out of 50 people watching a show anywhere from one or two to a dozen or more industry folks can be there. It really is a blast to go to but I was out of town this year.

They (along with the other 100+ bands) don't have a choice. If you are an unknown trying to get picked up by one of the major labels, SWSX is the place you need to take your shot at.

Understood. I cannot fault them for that. But, last I understood it, PPUSA was SUPPOSED to be their debut in the USA. Instead, they choose a place where nobody knows, nor cares, who they are. Really sad.

Peace,
Ray C.

Sorry if I misunderstood. However, as it was said on this thread, NOBODY knew they would be here. I know I blasted SA for touring immediately before PPUSA. But, there is a difference. At least Sonata was upfront about it. AF was sneaky about it like a thief in the night. At least let your fans know. Nobody had a clue.

Peace,
Ray C.