After putting up with Metallica's garbage for the last 11 years...

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
I re-listened to Load and there really are some cool songs on it. I've always liked Hero of the Day and Bleeding Me, and they have cool grooves. Ok, it's not heavy or anything, but it's quite good in comparison to the bullshit now. I guess trying to follow up the black album with Load was tough for them.

Also, I like Fixxer and Low Man's Lyric from Reload. Again, not in a metal context but it's decent, nonetheless.

I was playing Orion on guitar today and was just scanning through my MP3s and decided to listen to Load for the first time in about 10 years or so and was pleasantly surprised to find that I'm not disgusted with it.

that's because james hetfield knows what good music sounds like. (yes, he's pointed at that st anger was not it)

James Hetfield was the reason I started playing guitar. He's also the reason I learned to appreciate the beautiful simplicity of rhythm guitar and how superior it is to play great riffs than finger olympics. Just my opinion, however.

My heart broke when Load came out; not because I thought it was a bad album or anything, but I realized that they would never again play in the way they did when I was growing up. It was like a girlfriend of ten years or so had dumped me.

I think Load is pretty good (it does have some throwaway tunes, eh I forget that tracklist now), but ReLoad is less good, granted still containing some decent things.

But yeah, it just gets trashed for it's lack of "metal" pffffft. I read something once which labeled their sound then as "Metallica copying Corrosion of Conformity copying Metallica" , which is hilariously accurate in a way.

I bet if those albums didn't have the name "Metallica" written on them, people would have liked them alot more. But that's just name association meeting sound.

The second half of Load is actually a pretty good album. Tracks 7-14 anyhow. The first six tracks you can take or leave as you like. I especially dig Bleeding Me, Thorn Within, and The Outlaw Torn.

The CoC comparison is dead on.

I think Load is pretty good (it does have some throwaway tunes, eh I forget that tracklist now), but ReLoad is less good, granted still containing some decent things.

But yeah, it just gets trashed for it's lack of "metal" pffffft. I read something once which labeled their sound then as "Metallica copying Corrosion of Conformity copying Metallica" , which is hilariously accurate in a way.

relisten to reload.

and COC yeah! deliverance is gold, after that gold became rarer =(

drowning in a daydream! 13 angels! stare too long! rise river rise! sleeping martyr!

I think Wiseblood is still rather impressive.

America's Volume Dealer starts off REALLY strong, and everytime I relisten to it I think "Whoa, better than I remember!" ... but that feeling always fades ......

In The Arms of God is great as far as songwriting goes, but it's missing a special something.

Which of course features Hetfield, from which said album was released only slightly after Load. MORE TO FUEL THIS METALLICA/COC CONSPIRACY

i never gave wiseblood the full body inspection. agreed on AVD, mainly due to OVER ME, what an amazing way to start an album!

ITAOG never sat right with me at all. but i don't think i ever gave her the full bod etc

I like the Loads. Just some damn good songwriting in my opinion.

Which of course features Hetfield, from which said album was released only slightly after Load. MORE TO FUEL THIS METALLICA/COC CONSPIRACY

Yeah that was kind of a slap in the face for Jason; James could do guest vocals on just about every COC album, yet Jason wasn't allowed to do his own project.