circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Agathodaimon – Serpent’s Embrace
Nuclear Blast Records – August 24th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

agathodaimon.jpg

Agathodaimon is one of the better bands on Nuclear Blast’s roster. Serpent’s Embrace begins with “Cellos for the Insatiable,” where we find the band taking rhythmical hints from Fear Factory. The riffs sweep from side-to-side until moments when the group pounds out a solid riff, then settles into a melodic, guitar lead covered by clean, spoken vocals. Often times, I found myself comparing the distorted vocals to Indonesian metallers Kekal, if anyone knows them. The title track graces the second slot on the disc, and I could’ve sworn that I was listening to Soilwork. This song is remarkably similar to compositions found on Figure Number Five. It’s not a horrid song by any means, if you can come to terms with their illegitimate rip-offs.

“Light Reborn” follows with sporadic, guitar leads arising here and there. The tortured vocals sound exquisite when they come in, and the song’s pace makes it very easy to enjoy. Things heat up at the two-minute mark when intense double-bass riddles the song, along with blastbeats, and Nile-esque vocal lines. Agathodaimon are surely multi-faceted, although they borrow from their idols/influences too much. “Faded Years” continues the record with superb, clean vocalizations and guitar squeals that Dimebag Darrell might pen. Add punctuating keyboards to the mix, and you’ve got an amalgamation of excellent musicianship that enriches the disc as a whole. Overall, “Faded Years” is perhaps the finest piece on Serpent’s Embrace. “Solitude” isn’t worth a listen as its industrialism and sludge metal riffs make it disjointed at best.

“Limbs of a Stare” is the requisite, soft song interloping piano and female vocals. “The Darkness Inside,” however, brings us back to heaviness with ominous keyboards and those guttural wretchings that appeared on track four. The black metal shrieks return as well.

While Agathodaimon's influences are readily heard within every work, it doesn’t really detract from the artist’s worth. Though they won’t win an “originality award” this year, their latest issue is strangely inviting and rewarding. Yes, the band have developed a worthwhile listen.

7.5/10

Official Agathodaimon website
Official Nuclear Blast Records website