Agressive bass disto, think Meshuggah - Chaosphere

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Just wanted to share my experience about that :headbang:

After several months of research, I've found things that work pretty well :

First, getting a great sound out of the bass and amp is EXTREMELY important.

I had luck to achieve this Meshuggah kind of sound at tracking by doing this :

I splitted the signal outcoming from the bass :

1) First signal going into the amp. Ampeg amps and cabs are killer, they work for me. On the amp, move the EQ to get a great 90-120 Hz sound, thick and warm. Check the 250 Hz area, you don't won't too much of it to keep the clarity. I generally cut some 500 Hz here, but not too much. Then put a mic in front of the amp to capture this, MD421, D112... Route the mic into a good and punchy pre, and then into an EQ. Let's say Mindprint Dual Tube Channel channel 1. High pass at 35 Hz, low pass at 4 khz.

2) Second signal going into a DI for clean sound (something like REDDI, Avalon U5, depends on what you're after... but you need something that keeps your signal clean with thick but balanced bass/low meds and clarity in the 4-5 khz area).

3) Third signal going into a guitar distorsion pedal (POD or Sansamp GT2 for example), then into another DI (let's say API for punchy meds), then into a compressor (1176 works well) and into a parametric EQ (let's say Mindprint DTC channel 2). Play with the gain setting until it sounds good on the strings major hits. Turn down the lows and highs, boost the meds until they fit with the guitars tone if you already recorded them. Too much meds is too agressive, not sitting in the mix and fighting with the guitars a bit. Not enough meds is too dark, the bass sound will end into lacking of definition.
On the compressor, 4:1 or 6:1 ratio should work. -3 or -4 db of gain reduction is OK, with medium attack. Set the release time taking care of the playing : if the bassist isn't very consistant, long release works definitely, if the bassist has a great constant attack on the strings, shorten the release time should be a good thing.
On the EQ, high pass at 300-400 Hz, low pass at 3 Khz. Boost the **** out of 700 or 800 Hz, and 2,5 - 3 Khz, to get something very dirty and raw, than you can hear into the mix.

Listen to the disto and amp sound, they should blend well. The clean DI sound is there to bring back if something lacks at mix time, or to reamp if necessary.
The important thing is to get the lows from the amp, and the dirty mids from the distorsion. The disto has to blend well with the guitars.
Sometimes you'll have the feeling that the two tracks do not blend very well, that there's a "gap" somewhere. Most of the time, I find that it's due to the lack of 500-1 khz in the amp sound, which really does the "link" between the distorsion and amp sound. Go back to the amp EQ.

At mix time, I'd use a compressor on the whole bass bus, hitting it hard, and then a Pultec style EQ to bring in/out more/less lows and more/less clarity (3 khz) if necessary, to make the bass sit in the mix.

i never have any luck blending di and amp tracks, the phase ends up all over the shop. and you cant just pull the start in line and hope for the best, it changes constantly!
wicked tips though

You can use a sample delay to move the amp track.
What I usually do is to time and phase align the amp tracks on the DI one, and even if it's not "perfectly" in phase (not exactly the same signal) it sounds good and meaty.
Distorting bass is all about the good pedal/plugin and EQing the hell out of the good frequencies, anyway you have to keep the big lows of the amp without messing the bass with the kick drum and guitars. It's tricky sometimes but it works :)

It looks interesting. Is it possible for you to upload a clip of the final tone, and the dry track of the same clip?

IBP is a great little unit for dealing with phase issues. There's also a similar Free plugin from Tritone Digital called the Phasetone.

I wanted to bump this because I have been hearing an effect on some songs that I believe is being applied on the distorted bass mult.
I am racking my brain to think of the song, but regardless, the mult sounded like it had a reverb on it, and it sounded damn good. I am wondering if I can replicate this in Amplitube 2 by pulling the "mic" back for ambience...or if this is really a true reverb inserted into the mult.

Anyway...anyone ever reverbed their distorted bass mult?

Well, thanks a lot man, this is actually this particular sound that I used on the recording of my upcoming cd

I like this bass sound too. What settings did you use on the Sansamp? Am I correct in assuming that you ddn't mult the bass and just distorted using the Sansamp?

I always track in with the dist. set around 12 o clock, but that is because I mult.