Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Aina – Days of Rising Doom
Transmission Records/The End Records – TM-3040 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

aina.jpg

Aina is a metal opera project created by Sascha Paeth, due to urging from the owner of Transmission Records. Sascha got in contact with Amanda Somerville who wrote the entire concept of the story. Amanda used this lyrical concept and took it a step further and created the expansive Tolkienesque world of Aina, complete with myths, history and even a new language. The story centers around two brothers of the king of Aina - Talon and Torek - who are in love with the same woman, and how their lives are forever changed by this love. While it may not be the most original idea, the story is well thought out and it is fun to follow as the album progresses.

As with any of these metal opera projects one can expect a wide array of singers and musicians participating in the album. While the main players are Sascha, Amanda, Robert Hunecke-Rizzo and Miro, one will also be able to hear such personalities as Michael Kiske, Tobias Sammet, Glenn Hughes, Jens Johansson, Derek Sherinian and Thomas Youngblood, to name a few. With the people that I have just listed one can easily surmise that the music you will hear in Days of Rising Doom is a combination of the power, symphonic and progressive metal genres. Bombastic choirs, string arrangements, keyboards, heavy guitars and catchy verses are the norm with Aina, and considering the diversity in the songs there is definitely something for everyone.

If you want fast and heavy songs then look no further than to “The Beast Within” (the first single and my favorite of the album), “Revelations”, “Naschtok is Born”, “Flight of Torek” and “Oriana’s Wrath”. If slower and emotional ballads are what you're after, then songs like “Silver Maiden”, “Talon’s Last Hope”, “Serendipity” (featuring an excellent Michael Kiske) and “Rape of Oria” should definitely please you. The latter is definitely more emotional and sombre, as the title would suggest, but nevertheless it’s an excellent song, led the soft singing of Candice Night, and accompanied by a piano melody and symphonic arrangements. Two of the most unique songs in this album are “Lalae Amer”, a mostly instrumental song with Celtic influences and some verses sung in the language created for the album, and “Restoration”, the atmospheric and slow album closer that features operatic singing courtesy of the excellent Simone Simons of Epica.

The only negative that I could find in this release is the middle part, because it is rather slow, and does cause a loss of momentum. But then again, it is the darkest part of the story so it shouldn’t be very uplifting. Despite this qualm Days of Rising Doom is a very enjoyable listen, and fans of any of the bands that the musicians are involved in will no doubt highly enjoy it.

7/10

Aina Official Website
The End Records Official Website

I thought it was twaddle the first time I heard it, but was glad I gave it a second chance. The music is really cinematic and conjures images inside one's head. o_O The real test comes when you listen to it in one sitting. The peaks and valleys and contrasts between metal and classical parts build suspense and make for an interesting listen. Not perfect, but very listenable! :cool: