Ajattara - Kuolema

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Ajattara - Kuolema
Spikefarm, 2003

664_1.jpg

Wow! The second Ajattara album has finally arrived! Yeah, I was so enthusiastic and excited when I got their second work to my hands. It's titled Kuolema, that means 'death' and it's only 34 minutes long but at least it doesn't have any weak moments, it's just perfect from the beginning till the end. They still play that atmospheric, dark music based on slower black metal we got to know on their previous work 'Itse' but now it's served in a clearer and mature form. They kept writing the lyrics in Finnish, that makes the songs more natural and wilder in some way, especially when they roll the letter 'rrrrrr'.
They continue to play their dark metal. It's mid-paced black metal with down tuned guitars, lots of haunting keyboards, melodies and the well-known voice of Ruoja (Amorphis). They continuosly change the mid-placed and slower parts keeping the overall sound deep and making even the faster drumrolls sound soft and light. It's dark and solemn at the same time. For these mixed up moods the best example on the album is the second song 'Surman Henki' that is the 'ghost of death' in English. Similar drawling the follow up 'Haureus' (fornication) but it's also has some hidden aggression coming from the voice of Ruoja and pulsating background rhythms. According to the title of 'Huoran Alla'(under a whore) I should expect a more dynamic, whirling song but it's just like the previous ones, a slowed down track. 'Ikiyossa'(Everlasting night) is a bit different. The music is more varied, combining other themes with rhythm changes, drawing out some strange sound from the keyboards, Ruoja's vocals evil layer and an almost pop like chorus. 'Helvetissa on Syntisen Taivas'(Sinners heaven is in hell) is a similar, varied song. The slower parts remind of the depressiveness of Katatonia and My Dying Bride but due to their guitar sound Ajattara is more viable.
I wouldn't say they reproducted their first album, it's rather a newer, a matured version of the music they introduced to us on 'Itse'. With its own, dark atmoshpere and kind of agressive melancholy, that is the nature of Ajattara.

01. Antakaa Elää
02. Surman Henki
03. Haureus
04. Huoran Alla
05. Ikiyössä
06. Musta Leski
07. Sielun Särkijä
08. Kituvan Kiitos
09. Helvetissä On Syntisen Taivas
10. Rauhassa

http://www.ajattara.cjb.net